need some suggestions please

I'm making newborn hats for my SILs friend, a photographer. I made white hats and a few flowers (pic is in baby items). I want to make the flowers interchangeable. I'll be making her more in other colors as well as making some things more holiday themed: shamrock, pumpkin, stars, hearts. Anyway I want her to be able to use any of them on any hat, made the hats different sizes. I need a way to attach the various items that's not permanent, easy enough for her to switch quickly during a photo shoot. I thought about velcro dots, but I'm not sure how that would work, some sort of small barrette or clip. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

in the craft section of most stores you can find little "flat backed" pins designed to be sewn onto the back of something. You could sew these onto the backs of the flowers, and they could easily be pinned to the stitches of the hat (and not necessarily go through to the back where they would touch baby's skin...just like you weave tails through the stitches and they don't go through. kwim?) here's a link to an example of what I mean

another idea would be to use bobby-pins. those would slide through the stitches of both hat and flower (Etc) easily enough, I would think. you could either keep them on hand to slide into place during photo sessions, or slide them into the flower, all the way to the end, sew into place with a couple stitches, and they'd be ready to pin into the hat.

HTH

There's always alligator clips, and they do come in small sizes. I have several friends who make hair accessories for their daughters and their friends and they use alligator clips.

thanks for the suggestions, I looked at alligator clips today may buy them for now I think I'm going to try bobby pins bc I have a ton that aren't being used

I always leave 2 tails on the back of flowers and tie them on hats. Just slip the tails around a couple hat stitches from the outside to inside, and tie in a small bow on the inside of the hat.

I've tried velcro on crochet and it really wears it out quickly. I think it's just too much pulling in such a small area.

Real Deal - awesome idea - just leave tails and tie them in place. Sometimes the simplest way is the best.

I always leave 2 tails on the back of flowers and tie them on hats. Just slip the tails around a couple hat stitches from the outside to inside, and tie in a small bow on the inside of the hat.

I'll have to start doing that on the flowers that have the tails both in the back, and use another idea for those that have one that ends in the front

You can always just cut a new piece of yarn to use for the tie. Cut a piece that's long enough to work with, 9" to 12". Using a tapestry needle, thread the yarn into the back of the flower on one side of the center starting ring, across and back out on the opposite side of the starting ring.

After the flower is tied to the hat, I snip the end of the ties a little, but not so much that it can't be tied again.

For huge flowers that might flop, you can strategically place ties in different places to keep it looking beautiful.

How about a button on the back of the flower? It could even be a crocheted button. Fold it up, slip it between stitches and unfold to hold in place.

Archived