Have you ever had your work insulted?

For months before Christmas my boyfriend asked me to knit or crochet him a hat. So I made him one, he helped me pick out the yarn and the pattern. When he got it for Christmas he loved it. It's just a simple 4x4 ribbed grey and red striped beanie (modeled from a "mans" pattern design). So he told me today when his mother say it that she thought it was "gay" (my deepest apologies to anybody who is offended by this word). I mean, its not like the hat was odd in any way, it was very much like those you would see in a store. I'm just a little shocked that she would say something like that, especially after I made her a kindle sleeve last year for no charge that she requested and loved.

I just feel really hurt that she would say that, knowing it would get back to me. So have you ever had somebody insult your work?

Using that word as an insult is hateful. Hateful people's opinions don't matter.

However, I'm sorry that your boyfriend's mother is hateful.

Remember, the hat was made for your boyfriend. He loved it. That's all that matters.

Using that word as an insult is hateful. Hateful people's opinions don't matter.

However, I'm sorry that your boyfriend's mother is hateful.

Remember, the hat was made for your boyfriend. He loved it. That's all that matters.

Thank you for your encouragement :hug. It was just very shocking to here.

You made a hat for your boyfriend and he loved it. This may be the key.

Perhaps she is jealous of your relationship or of your abilities as a fabric

artist or both. Some people are in secure. You and your boyfriend are

happy let it go. Its her problem not yours.

the really important thing is that he likes it and wears it.:wgrin:wlol

it's possible that his mom is not up on all the current ramifications of the word and didn't really mean it as an insult. either way, i would try not to worry about it too much, but focus on the fact that your boyfriend helped pick out the yarn and pattern, you made it, and now he loves it :heart

Why did he feel the need to share her opinion with you? My husband has done that on occasion---share an upsetting opinion from his mother or one of his sisters---and I never understand why, since I know he isn't trying to make me feel bad.

I have a MIL with barely any manners and no social graces. I made my SIL a hat and mitten set and she was so rude about 'why don't I make something that people might actually use.' At first I was hurt but over time I just came to expect it from her.

Archived