Martha Poncho Day

mscrocheter

That's why I said it was "MY" opinion :) Because no one has to agree with it, lol

Oh I got that. Afterall that's all any post it, just our opinions. ;)

I still thought it was cute and funny and after watching today, my opinion is still the same. While not a Martha fan per say, she has changed a lot and she deserves credit for it. She also deserves credit for making light of a bad situation. She didn't deserve to go to prison, hard or not. :)

For what it's worth they sold over $300 worth of ponchos yesterday. I hope they're not coming from sweat shops either but until I know for sure, I'm not going to bash them since the money is going to charity.

Oh I got that. Afterall that's all any post it, just our opinions. ;)

I still thought it was cute and funny and after watching today, my opinion is still the same. While not a Martha fan per say, she has changed a lot and she deserves credit for it. She also deserves credit for making light of a bad situation. She didn't deserve to go to prison, hard or not. :)

For what it's worth they sold over $300 worth of ponchos yesterday. I hope they're not coming from sweat shops either but until I know for sure, I'm not going to bash them since the money is going to charity.

I thought she said she sold 3000 ponchos yesterday ?

I heard Lily Chin say that and I thought she was defeated rather recently in public by a Crochetvillager. She has every right to call herself ONE of the fastest crocheters, but she really can't call herself the fastest anymore, right?

:eek Really?! Tell me more, I hadn't heard this! :eek

I think it's great that the ponchos got more airtime; I didn't get to see the episode, but I'm sure it was a good one. I am just wondering what kind of yarn she is being used to make the ones on her website. I still make mine with Homespun (i've already made 2 and am working on a 3rd one for Christmas presents), and battle with it constantly. Has anyone else made this poncho and what kind of yarn do you use?

I think it's great that the ponchos got more airtime; I didn't get to see the episode, but I'm sure it was a good one. I am just wondering what kind of yarn she is being used to make the ones on her website. I still make mine with Homespun (i've already made 2 and am working on a 3rd one for Christmas presents), and battle with it constantly. Has anyone else made this poncho and what kind of yarn do you use?

I've made a couple Martha ponchos, both with Homespun. I've used Homespun for other projects and struggled with it at first as well. I was always catching unwanted portions of other loops, ack! To solve this problem, I started using Susan Bates style hooks which do not taper near the hook end, they stay "fat". And, I use "slippery" hooks. Crystalite (acrylic) hooks are "slippery". With less friction, there's less catching. I hope this helps. :)

I've made a couple Martha ponchos, both with Homespun. I've used Homespun for other projects and struggled with it at first as well. I was always catching unwanted portions of other loops, ack! To solve this problem, I started using Susan Bates style hooks which do not taper near the hook end, they stay "fat". And, I use "slippery" hooks. Crystalite (acrylic) hooks are "slippery". With less friction, there's less catching. I hope this helps. :)

Wow! I just finished my poncho a few minutes ago, logged on.. and you know what's funny? I bought the Crystalite hook last week when I started the poncho! Goes to show we're thinking alike. :hook You know. I did notice that.. the Susan Bates hooks are easier to use! So.. I ended up buying a whole set of Susan Bates hooks. My Boyes are now sitting in a vase, for use when i have multiple projects.

I am surprised how much of a difference it made! I actually finally finished it with the edging done correctly. The past 2 that I made.. the edgings were like half done, because the yarn got so difficult to deal with, and I was using the Boyes. Another funny thing; I only use 3 skeins of Homespun, not 4. I am hoping I did it right.. did you use all 4 skeins?

I was also wondering if she mentioned what yarn was used in her poncho. I believe it was Bernat Galaxy, not sure why Lion Brand got all the credit. I made several with Joann's Sensations Angel Hair and they came out gorgeous, and so soft.

I just love Angel Hair! How many skeins did you use? I wanted to make some others... and wanted to avoid using Homespun. Angel Hair is so easy to see. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Whew! Some of those prices are up there. Lion Brand staff had an entire section of the audience for that show. I guess those are the ponchos they wore.

Everyone in the audience received a poncho that day. They are selling the ponchos on the Martha website and she mentioned that the sales for those were going to charity too.

Madelyn

Archived