Yarn Drape Question

BeautifulNightmare

I really want to make this pattern. It calls for Caron Simply Soft, but unfortunately I don't have access to this yarn... unless I buy it online and atm that isn't possible. I have little experience making garments and I know drape is important. So I'm wondering if anyone can give me a little advice on what substitue I could/should use, that would give me a nice drape to the sweater. TIA :)

seems then a bamboo or bamboo blend would work. I don't know if there is really any acrylic yarn comparable to simply soft as far as drape is concerned that would be readily available.

Trip to Joann's in Bellingham??

Simply Soft is a really limp yarn, in the range of thickness that defines 'worsted weight' it is on the lighter side. Red Heart super saver on the other hand is much thicker and stiffer. I'm not sure if this helps, except when you are shopping for yarn and can compare different brands, try for a worsted that's thinner than RHSS.

I've used bamboo thread but not worsted weight, it is very limp but I've heard it doesn't hold it's shape well for garments (neither does simply soft, for that matter). But, this pattern isn't fitted so probably doesn't matter as much.

Red Heart has a line called Red Heart Soft (I have not used it yet, still have the old soft yarn from years ago). Under the description on their website, it is 100% acrylic and it also states "elegant drape".

LI Roe

I second the recommendation of bamboo-based yarns and would also like to suggest tencel. Search on the Internet for these, because they're available in lots of different blends.

You requested "no wool"; unfortunately, the bamboo-based yarn I've actually used is the Red Heart/Stitch Nation "Bamboo Ewe," 55% bamboo and 45% Peruvian wool. It drapes nicely and breathes very well. Can be washed COLD water on GENTLE/DELICATE cycle in the washer and then dried flat after light blocking in a rolled-up towel.

DCM

Bernat Satin would give almost equal drape. As already mentioned the Red Heart Soft or their new Super Soft would give a nicer drape than the usual Super Saver but I am not sure if it would be as drapey as the Bernat Satin.

Have you really looked around for the Simply Soft? I think even Walmart is selling it. Here's a "Where to Buy" list for Caron yarns. As you can see most of the craft stores are on there. Here is the list for Simply Soft in particular:

Simply Soft®

A.C. Moore

Fabric Sav-a-thon

Hancock Fabrics

Hobby Lobby

Jo-Ann Fabrics & Crafts

Michaels Arts & Crafts

Pat Catans

Wal-Mart

Buy.Caron.com

Independent Yarn Stores

Thanks for the help and suggestions :). I know I can get bamboo yarn and also the bernat satin so maybe I will go with one of those.

FrLopLady: As soon as I get my enhanced I.D. (lets us down into the states without a passport) I will be making a trip down to Bellingham for that reason lol.

granny square: Thanks for that info. I've noticed that some WW are a bit thicker/stiffer than others.

LIRoe: I will have a look for RH soft, incase I can find that as well.

DogCatMom: I've never heard of Tencel so I will look that one up. I think I would be ok with a wool/bamboo blend...I'll know as soon as I touch the ball of yarn if I react lol.

Debrakay: I've looked at both Walmarts and and both Michaels I can get to and neither sell Caron yarn unfortunately.

Archived