First Graphghan

I always have a problem with these graph afghans. I love them and they are easy since most are sc but my yarn always gets horribly tangled and I wind up binning the whole thing in frustration. :angry

BUT I am trying again with a fairly easy pattern (I think) with only two colors, black and white. It will be for my daughter for Christmas. I am using the ziplock tip for my balls and so far so good.

Here it is so far....

Any and all tips and tricks are welcome! :devil

post-54967-135897712257_thumb.jpg

post-54967-135897712262_thumb.jpg

How is that going? At the risk of sounding dopey, what exactly is a yarn bobbin and how do you use them. :think

They are plastic bobbins and come in lots of different sizes. Boye and Bates both make them and I've found them at various stores like AC Moore's/Joann's. My Mom had ones that looked like butteflies when I was a kid, but I never knew what she used them for when she knitted.

There is a page of them at the Knitting Warehouse so you can see what they look like here.

Basically, you wrap the yarn around them for the various color sections you are working on. Since they lock the yarn in you can keep the amount of yarn for the sections you are not working on short and thus, keep the yarn from getting twisted into other sections of yarn. They hang from the piece you are working on.

If you do stockings, these are great stocking stuffers.

Thanks Bailey for the help. They look scary. LOL Do you just wrap the yarn around them? How much do they hold?

Sorry for all the questions.

They are plastic bobbins and come in lots of different sizes. Boye and Bates both make them and I've found them at various stores like AC Moore's/Joann's. My Mom had ones that looked like butteflies when I was a kid, but I never knew what she used them for when she knitted.

There is a page of them at the Knitting Warehouse so you can see what they look like here.

Basically, you wrap the yarn around them for the various color sections you are working on. Since they lock the yarn in you can keep the amount of yarn for the sections you are not working on short and thus, keep the yarn from getting twisted into other sections of yarn. They hang from the piece you are working on.

If you do stockings, these are great stocking stuffers.

I'm not sure what is scary about them.:lol

You wrap the yarn around them and you can unwind or keep the yarn tight depending on how you are working on the piece. I tend to keep the ones I'm not using fairly tight to avoid tangles. I let the one I am using go more loosely.

They hold a small ball of yarn. Depending on how often you are switching yarn and how long the sections of yarn are they work well. I find I end up cutting and resusing them in different sections when I finish off a color section so they hold quite a bit.

Thanks so much Bailey for your help and patience with all of my questions. I am going to use the bobbins for my next one. IF there is a next one.

I am finding it is taking me longer to open and close the ziplocs to get to my colors than to actually do the crochet! Maybe they will work better.

Thank you again. :cheer

I'm not sure what is scary about them.:lol

You wrap the yarn around them and you can unwind or keep the yarn tight depending on how you are working on the piece. I tend to keep the ones I'm not using fairly tight to avoid tangles. I let the one I am using go more loosely.

They hold a small ball of yarn. Depending on how often you are switching yarn and how long the sections of yarn are they work well. I find I end up cutting and resusing them in different sections when I finish off a color section so they hold quite a bit.

Thanks, I love the picture too and pray it comes out half as good. I have no clue how big it will be. LOL three feet by something and since my gauge is off as usual I am keeping my fingers crossed. :(

oh wow! this is going to be amazing!! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the picture!!!! :bheart:bheart:bheart

how big are you making this??

Aw wow, my best friend would love this! Where did u get the graph?

For whatever reason I can't put the link on. It keeps messing up. BUT the site is MCK Creations. When I try to link it just little stars show up instead of the website. Google it and you will find it. I am so sorry that I can't do this correctly.

She has some really nice ones, buy two get one free and she is quite nice as well. Tell her I sent ya! :hug

Archived