My daughter is...

either brilliant or just weird. First off she is 16 i taught her to crochet a few years ago and the only thing she will make is scarves. She follows no pattern and now it appears she made up her own stitch...at leaast i think she did.

She inserts hook into back loop of the row below yarns over and pulls up a loop, then she yarns over and pulls through one loop then yarn over and pulll through two loops. it is very cool looking but odd. Is it a new stitch or did she figure out something else on her own...i only taught her sc.

post-9809-135897708484_thumb.jpg

I think I've heard of that referred to as an extended sc, but I may be wrong... She may be a combination of brilliant & weird :) Sounds like an amazing young lady either way!

Good for her! Brilliant is often perceived as weird, isn't it? (Said by the mother of a very artistic daughter who even had a high school English teacher call her "weird"---she took it as a compliment.)

afterrignoring my own timesensitive crochet for an hour trying to figure her out i finally looked it up and yuo she "discovered" the extended single crochet. The scarf is coming along nicely. it is for her psychology teacher who she says is a BIG BIG man. We have to hit storage and my yarn stash to find another skein of the grey yarn but the scarf is a bit more flexible than sc but with fewer "holes" than HDC or DC.

She is very artsy...i will have to upload to show and tell some of her art assignments. I just love the fact thqat she is working on this in classes after her work is done.

Wow, Im impressed. I wish my daughter would show more of an interest but hopefully it will come with age!!! Not sure I would like sharing my stash though ha ha ha!!!

I don't mind sharing my stash since i prefer to work with thread..she can use all the yarn she wants she just has to leave my thread alone:2nono

I have a book written by someone named Elmore (has Elmore in the title) with stitches that are between the standards. There's a stitch between sc and hdc, one between hdc and dc, one between dc and trc, etc. I think extended sc is one of them. I use them when I want to make something that needs a point.

Ellie 13

Thanks for sharing your daughter's stitch. I am going to have to try it. Especially since you say it does not leave a hole like a dc stitch or hdc stitch. I have been making some scarves and it was that "hole" that I have not been pleased with my scarves.

Archived