White not white

bailey

Has anyone used the white in Caron Simply Soft. I bought a skein (6 oz skein unfortunately) and it is the strangest white I've seen. It has a grayish look to it, and when I put it next to another white yarn it looks like a pale gray. I don't know if I just got a bad skein or this is the norm. I made a baby hat but think I am going to frog it and toss the skein.

Could be. I know I bought it awhile ago just to have on hand. I think at the time there was some talk of the price going up, or being discontinued in Wal Mart, or whatever. Wouldn't you know - I purchase at the wrong time!

What was the company's reaction, do you remember? Just curious.

Could be. I know I bought it awhile ago just to have on hand. I think at the time there was some talk of the price going up, or being discontinued in Wal Mart, or whatever. Wouldn't you know - I purchase at the wrong time!

What was the company's reaction, do you remember? Just curious.

As i recall it was a problem with a mill, and it seems like they moved to a different mill or something.

I remember that. They looked awful - just dingy.

Yes, and the funny thing was, you might not notice it until you put it with another color.

I found a thread where the gray was discussed, it was in 2007, so it's been quite a while ago. And reading that i remember finding really gray yarn in the store--like you said Rose, it looked dingy, like some ink had rubbed off on it. Then later i got some that looked white to me in the store but i couldnt use it because it looked grayish next to the color i wanted to use it with, whihc was pink i think. At that time i found some older simply soft somewhere and it was dazzling white.

Apparently in 07 some yarn mills went out of business and companies were scrambling to find a good mill to make their yarn, and that is when the gray yarn came out.

But since that was almost 5 years ago, i wonder if it has happened again?

I'm just about positive I didn't buy the skein 5 years ago. Maybe Wal Mart just kept it in stock or put it back on the shelves by mistake??

I was looking in the Searching For, for no particular reason, and would you believe someone at the beginning of this year was looking for this exact grayish white yarn, same lot #.

p.s. forgot to add she did say it (the lot#) had been discontinued.

I never buy their white because it just doesn't look good in my opinion! Yuck! I can't imagine that gray/white looking good for anything, can you? :think To me it looks like you accidently washed it with something black! :lol

I know I won't be using it!!

I have one of the Caron One Pounders in white that I just bought recently and it is nice and white. But I don't have any white in the Simply Soft to compare. Thanks for the heads up though. I don't really like Simply Soft, so probably would not order any. It just splits too much when I crochet with it. Others seem to like it fine. I have used it for hats and I love how soft it is. But, I prefer Bernat Satin, which is about the same sheen and softness without the splitting.

Ooh, I am going to have to check my skeins, thought I saw a couple of them when I was looking for something else. If that is the case, I could use them with any skeins that may have grey/black/white in them too like Zebra. Sometimes I mix soft and regular, depending on what I making.

LI Roe

Before I knew the grayish white had been a previous problem/mill problem, I emailed a complaint to Caron.

Guess what - I got a reply today, saying a complimentary skein would be sent to me. Lets hope it is a sparkling white - !

Archived