help with baby blanket

violetskye

Question

hello everyone,

i am going to crochet a baby blanket for my sister-in-law whose baby is due in january. they don't know the sex yet, and i want to go ahead and start it now but i don't know what colors to use. can anyone suggest something that's not too girly or boyish? i was thinking pale blue or lavendar but i'm not sure.

Erica:mdust

10 answers to this question

I have trouble picking a color combo too for anything. Anyways I was going to add my :2c . Greens and yellows are a good choice. Picking a multi color yarn is good too or just using it as an accent. You may want to take a stroll down the baby isles of your local supermart or visit baby stores to look at the colors they use together in outfits and such. You may want to know how the nursery will be done. Take colors from that.

Good luck and remember anything made with :manyheart will be wonderful.

Elizabeth

thanks for the advice...i think i will go to some stores and browse their baby sections, but yellow does sound like a good choice, one i hadn't thought of.

erica:mdust

I always use the baby print varigated yarn. I was also lucky one time to find a couple skeins of pastel rainbow varigated yarn in Homespun.

Since it's your sister-in-law, you may also know if she has any likes/dislikes. One of our friends hates the color green, and she got so many green baby stuff. She likes blue and sees nothing wrong with dressing girls in blue since she wears blue herself.

My grandmother also made my nieces and nephews brightly colored rainbow blankets - bright stripes in rainbow order - they are really cute.

Two of my current favorite varigated yarns: (I'm brooding over them, trying to decide what to make ;))

Red Heart Soft Baby Color #8885 "Giggle Print"--a very nice rainbow color with white, blue, green, purple, & pink, very bright colors, no one dominant.

Bernat Softee Baby Color 02150 (no name)--mostly white, with small bits of green, purple, yellow, & blue.

Both of those brands of yarn are quite soft. Of course, for a January baby you might well want to use worsted weight yarn. I'd recommend Simply Soft for that. IMO, the feel of the yarn is more important than the color; you want something soft. Lion Brand, if you can find it, puts out Pound of Love yarn that is nice & soft, and comes with enough to make a good-sized blanket with the one skein. I'm very partial to their Pastel Yellow. It was some time ago that I bought it, but I think I paid only about $6 for it, which is a very good price (considering that both the yarns I mentioned earlier are priced at more than $3 here, & you'd need at least 3 skeins to make a good-sized blanket).

Another idea is to use stripes of pink, blue, & white. That way you've got it covered. ;) Before my younger girl was born, I made a blanket of two large panels each of pink & blue trimmed in white (you can see it here if you're curious). But some mamas might not want pink anywhere near their sons. Harvestar is right that the simplest thing to do is just ask.

And, of course, never underestimate the beauty of white. ;)

My :2c worth.

I would also go with the rainbow, in fact I have made the round ripple in the bright rainbow colours, using three rounds of each colours then one round of each colour repeated as a border. I did the last rounds, working into the back loops only on every round then added a round of Blue Eyelash type yarn on the edge and another round of the same about 4 rows from the edge. I am giving it to a baby boy but if you do similar, you can add the appropriate border after the baby arrives.:hug

Remember it is the dads who object to baby boys wearing girly colours. Babies dont know colours until they are older.

Have fun.

Colleen

I'm going to stick my head in--

Everyone always goes pastels--so how about Red? Red is pretty to both sexes and all the baby toys are always in the bright colors...then like someone said--if its a girls you can put some ruffles on it or a big heart, and if its a boy, you could put a train or a dinosaur on it.

I will look for it later and post the link but there is someone here that did a round ripple in like 6 diferent shadeds of caron simply soft brites and it is just beautiful!!!

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12242&highlight=round+ripple heres a nice one I found...

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11512&highlight=round+ripple this isent the one I was looking for but close, I think it had a row of white between each color...

Archived