Baby Necktie?????

I just about had a conniption fit when I signed onto Ravelry and saw the new patterns included one for a necktie for a baby! The picture even shows the necktie around the neck of a baby that looks to be only 5-6 months old. My first reaction was ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? I just could not believe a designer would think of doing this. I probably went overboard with my comments and upon rereading them just now, I see I had some typos due to my excitement (not the good kind). I just see way too much potential for a baby being choked to death. They have so many dangers to worry about already, why on earth would we want to tie something around their little necks? I think even bibs have all gone to larger connections than the old strings of old that were tied around their necks. I thought we had become a lot smarter about choking hazards with our babies.

I even mentioned product liability to this designer so she would start thinking "what if" and maybe reconsider. After all, she might be left with a wrongful death suit if she were to continue selling these patterns. Maybe I am over-reacting. But too often I hear about little ones losing their lives because of very avoidable dangers that they were left with. This tie does have a snap, but once snapped it still is adjustable which to me means it can be tightened too much if babies are left unattended or a tie is left on while they sleep. Just too dangerous in my opinion.

What do you think -- would you put a necktie on a baby? If the designer is a CV member, I am sorry if this is embarrassing or hurtful, but I just feel it is too important to ignore. Rather a few minutes discomfort for the adult designer than a baby choking to a slow death.

I would never in a million years put a necktie or anything else around a babies neck for any reason. I won't even consider making a blanket from a pattern that has too many holes or too large of holes for a baby.

Mayber her thought was to use it as a photo prop, only to be used during the photo.

Have the liability laws in this country become so completely skewed that the designer could be held responsible for what a person does with their designs? I mean PLEASE! If someone makes this for their kid how is it possibly the designers fault? It's right up there with holding the bartender responsible because someone left a bar drunk and drove into a tree. What ever happened to personal responsibility?

I just added my rant to yours. I see your point about it not being a good idea - especially if it's tied like a regular tie. The baby can pull the end and hurt itself.

The thing is - it's up to the mother whether they want to make it or use it. We can't police the world and quite frankly we shouldn't try to.

The designer has removed the photo but not the pattern. If you go to her Etsy page, she is selling the same pattern and you can see that the tie is made up of 2 parts. A circle crochet part that goes around the neck that isn't adjustable and then the actual tie that hangs down.

It's right up there with holding the bartender responsible because someone left a bar drunk and drove into a tree. What ever happened to personal responsibility?

Apples and oranges.

A drunk person can't think responsibly.

I looked on etsy and all I found were ties intended for photo props. I don't see it as any different than the hats with the long flap/ties.

And it shouldn't be the bartender's job to babysit a full grown adult.

I saw the pic before it was removed. I didn't really look at the pattern. While I do agree that if the child can tighten the tie itself that it can be dangerous I don't agree that the designer should be held responsible for what anyone does with their patterns. It's up to the parents to decide for themselves what they are willing to put on their children.

As someone else mentioned, bibs go around babies' necks everyday. Yes, even crocheted bibs with ties. We aren't talking about a choke collar here. I'd like to see a snap on it so it would "break" apart if the baby started to pull or somehow go it stuck on something. I personally wouldn't put a tie on a baby, but knocking another's persons design isn't cool, IMHO.

ETA - I went back and read you entire post because I honestly stopped reading about two lines in and see there are snaps in the pattern.

Anyways - to go back on topic...

The pic has been removed from Ravelry but if you follow the link to etsy there is a great pic of the tie by itself. http://www.etsy.com/listing/78879907/crochet-tie-pattern-for-infants-babies

I hate to say it but there's really no reason for the rant. The tie isn't actually a tie. It slides over an adjustable strap that's held together with snaps - just like bibs. There's no way that a baby can choke itself by pulling on the tie. It's not knotted or tied in the traditional way.

I think rants like this can be detrimental to designers (or to anyone for that matter). When people go off without really seeing what they are ranting about it can cause all sorts of problems.

Yes, it says it's adjustable but not by pulling on the tie itself. It's adjustable according to which snap you use. Unless you have a problem with bibs that are also attached in this way - I really don't see a problem after looking at the pattern.

• 1 year later...

As a photographer I can definitely assure you that newborn neckties are used mainly as photo props.  Babies wear them in the presence of an adult photographer and parent present, and they aren't tight on the neck at all...so really no harm done.  Also, the designer would not be responsible for what is done with their product after it has been purchased. 

Archived