Lining a purse/tote?

saint6811

Can someone share a tutorial or link for instructions on how to line a crocheted purse/bag/tote? I am experienced with sewing, but have not ever done anything like a lining, so I wouldnt want to 'wing it'....also, what material works best for linings (durability, ease to work with, etc)?

Thank you for any help you can provide! :)

Joy

I just lined the FBB bag for the very first time and this is the link that I used to help me. It is specific for that bag, but I think it will help you. As for fabric, I'm really not sure. Hopefully a more experienced person will speak up! :lol I just recycled an old t-shirt that I liked! Good luck!

I've lined several bags now with old t-shirts and they are holding up wonderfully but I winged it. My sewing skills are deplorable (don't even have a sewing machine) so hopefully more advice pops up here.

I've used colored tee shirts, too. I measure up from the bottom of the tee, that way I have a finished edge to use around the top of the bag. I've also carefully cut the pocket off and resewed it to my lining.

I watch for plain or striped Tees and polo type shirts at tag sales and thrift stores in colors that are pretty basic that I can use for lining these bags. Those flowery print tops work well, too, so don't get rid of them when they get a stain or are too snug. They have just enough 'give' to make a decent lining. Even the sleeves can be used.

Seriously, I hate to sew, I'd have half a dozen knit and crochet bags just waiting for their linings before I figured this trick out ...

FWIW, my life-saving tip for actually finishing purses and bags, ... I single crochet the two pieces of tee shirt together with a steel hook and #10 thread, that way I only have to hand sew the top edge. I'd crochet the lining to the bag too, if I could, but I can't easily jam the hook thru that hemmed edge so I end up tacking it by hand.

Oh wow, I wouldnt have thought of using some recycled clothing for linings! That is a terrific idea! And thank you to the first person to respond, I will use that link you shared....if it helped you as a first time liner, it should help me too! :)

I appreciate the input and advice from everyone!

Joy

"I measure up from the bottom of the tee, that way I have a finished edge to use around the top of the bag. I've also carefully cut the pocket off and resewed it to my lining."

I love this idea.....I am able to sew, but I dont think this kind of thing would be a favorite task for me to do, lol! Anything to save unnecessary steps or resources, is a welcome suggestion! :) Thank you!

I would like to understand this t-shirt lining method. You take a tee and cut the bottom (tube where the lower torso would go), then you turn that upside down, sew a straight seam across the cut edge, and then sew/attach the hemed edge to the edges of the bags opening?

I love the idea of using old t-shirts as linings, hmmm off to Goodwill tomorrow, I may just look at the kid's section they could be the perfect size

• 2 weeks later...

I was at Value Village (thrift shop) today, and saw old pillow cases for 99 cents. I had a thought that these could be re-purposed and used to line purses! I didn't buy any, because I don't have a project at the moment, but it is definitely something I'm going keep in mind for next time. There are some really beautiful patterns you could find!

Archived