Sharky's or Silvermist?

faithpa76

I'm browsing on eBay for L hooks (since I crochet tight, I need something that is equivalent to a normal person's J hook ;)) and Sharky's came up as having some.

Any feedback on these hooks, either positive or negative?

Editing to add a link to one of them - click here to see one of the L hooks by Sharky, and here to see one of the silvermist hooks.

I've got a silvermist one and i LOVE it! I got a J hook in Tapestry. It's so smooth and having the size right in the handle is awesome!!!! I think they have beautiful hooks and because they aren't famous yet prices are decent. I have yet to buy a Sharky's cuz I can't get a good price on the size I want yet.

I've tried several Ebay seller's hooks (not sure if any were either of these) and found that many of them were just awful. I'd recommend buying one to see if you like the style first in case you were thinking of buying a set.

The two hooks look pretty equivalent to me except for the notched area near the hook. The Silver mist looks a bit more like it's an inline hook (Susan Bates) and the Sharky doesn't. The grip for the Sharky begins further back than the Silver Mist. I usually like closer grips. But it's a difficult guess from the photos. You mentioned you're a tight crocheter so the strength of the wood is important. It's possible your crocheting is tight enough to put enough force to break a wooden hook.

I wasn't sure if you were specifically looking for a wooden hook. But if a plastic hook would do, I can suggest a reputable site for buying:

http://www.yarnforward.com/hooks.html

At $1.85 plus shipping they are be a lot cheaper.

They're in Canada but shipped out immediately. I've bought at least 15 hooks from them.

I'm browsing on eBay for L hooks (since I crochet tight, I need something that is equivalent to a normal person's J hook ;)) and Sharky's came up as having some.

Editing to add a link to one of them - click here to see one of the L hooks by Sharky, and here to see one of the silvermist hooks.

THankfully I don't think I crochet so tight that I'm going to snap a hook. I'm actually very relaxed when I crochet, I think a part of the problem is how I hold my yarn - I hold it like a threadie, lol.

I'm going to have to just try a few, I think - and see what I think. Trish - I like the look of the silvermist but I really need to find an "L" hook which they don't have. :( I may try one of their J hooks and see what I think!

I crochet tight as well. The best hooks I've found (for me, anyway) are Ozarktwist on Ebay. The finish on them is super-smooth so the yarn slides easily.

• 2 weeks later...
I crochet tight as well. The best hooks I've found (for me, anyway) are Ozarktwist on Ebay. The finish on them is super-smooth so the yarn slides easily.

Oooh, I like the looks of the ozarktwists, but they're $$$. Well, too much $$$ for my budget, anyway! :lol

I got a RAOK TOTC Hook today - I wish Bill did custom orders, because I *love* the hook I got. Fits perfectly in my hand and is nice and light!

Oooooh I've never seen those! They are so pretty.

Archived