Pillows and a valance...

Momcrochets

So today was "sewing day". Seeing as it's not my favorite activity, I tend to put it off a bit. Well, today was the day...And I almost got it all done.

post-7396-135897657395_thumb.jpg

Two throw pillows, thanks to this tute, that made me believe that even I could make throw pillows. :) I made one change...I used the amazing french seam that someone told me about last year, which I looked up on youtube, b/c my mind refused to make sense of it. :lol I think they turned out well. I'm rather proud of them. (ETA, the white balance looks off a bit, in these pics when I view the post. the chair in the first picture is more ivory than creamy butter colored.)

post-7396-135897657399_thumb.jpg

My kitchen lace...which has been in my sig. for ages. I've been crocheting this lace since Feb, and blocking it over the last week and a half.Today it got sewn into place. (68" and 171" valances. which share their windows with cafe curtains) I sewed the curtains back in Feb, too. (A big Thank You to Homekeeping Gran for loaning me the pattern book from which the lace came. It will head back as soon as I find an envelope :))

I also made a pillow case for DD's bday, but as her bday is next week, there's no pillow in the case, and it doesn't look like much, empty...it's just a yard of fabric, french-seamed and hemmed.

My sewing skills are quite limited. If you knew them, you'd know how much of an accomplishment this straight-line sewing jobs are! :lol:blush Of course, when I write it out like this, it doesn't look like nearly as much. A skilled seamstress could probably have turned out all 3 of the pillows in an hour! :lol oh well. It was a full day, and I'm happy with the results, so that's what matters, right? tell that to my back! :P)

post-7396-135897657378_thumb.jpg

Hooray! You got out the... Sewing Machine!!! ;) Everything looks great, Mom! Very cool throw pillows, and the lace — it is beautiful on your pretty valance! I love how "lacy" it blocked out. I simply cannot imagine crocheting that many miles (that's not inches, that's miles) of lace! :lol Every time you look out your window you will have the satisfaction of knowing you made that with your own hands. Kudos!

I think they look fantastic. I usually use a knife edge on my pillows.

The lace is wonderfully fresh looking and more professional than some of the valances I've picked up at the stores. Have you ever really checked out some of the seams from store bought items? I used to stress about my seams and straight line sewing until I bought some curtains that looked like they were climbing up the wall...

Now I have learned to live with my creations for me, and it makes life alot easier.

Hooray! You got out the... Sewing Machine!!! ;) Everything looks great, Mom! Very cool throw pillows, and the lace — it is beautiful on your pretty valance! I love how "lacy" it blocked out. I simply cannot imagine crocheting that many miles (that's not inches, that's miles) of lace! :lol Every time you look out your window you will have the satisfaction of knowing you made that with your own hands. Kudos!

Yup, I dragged out the Sewing Machine. And put it onto the kitchen table. It's not put away yet...there's more to sew. :eek Those miles of lace did take ages to do, but I'm happy with the result, so it's worth it. (What I can't imagine is a lace queen-size bedspread! I don't think I have that much patience yet! ;) )

Thanks for the kudos. :)

I hear ya about the sewing thing, I have so much fabric "yelling" at me. Yours turned out fabulously. I may have to look up that french-seam thing.

Thank you. I usually try to not buy fabric--pretty as it is--b/c I so rarely accomplish anything with it. wearables? no way! (I can crochet a skirt or a top, but not sew one..:shrug) The french-seam thing is where you sew your pieces WRONG sides together first, with a narrow hem (as narrow as you can stand it), and then turn it right sides together like you normally do, and sew close to normal width seam (you do have to give yourself the extra seam allowance...except with these pillows--a bit squishy is good) But like I said, I didn't "get" it, until I saw it.

I think they look fantastic. I usually use a knife edge on my pillows.

The lace is wonderfully fresh looking and more professional than some of the valances I've picked up at the stores. Have you ever really checked out some of the seams from store bought items? I used to stress about my seams and straight line sewing until I bought some curtains that looked like they were climbing up the wall...

Now I have learned to live with my creations for me, and it makes life alot easier.

I know it! Some of that store bought stuff is ridiculously made. I'm happy with how mine turned out...AND they fit the windows... :)

The pillows turned out looking great and the lace on the curtain is stunning!!!

Thank you!

Archived