How do you tag your crocheted items?

Hi everybody!

I have found a store that is willing to sell the children's and baby hats I make. I was wondering how people tag their items. Do you handwrite the tags or print them? What do you say on them?

Thanks!

Lilly :hug

• 1 month later...

For some items I took to a craft shop, I just made a little card that I attached to everything with my info on it. It's hard to actually place a cloth label on my items unless it's clothing. Even then, I don't add a label inside.

Mine were printed up on the computer using a business card template and placed it on half the business card and duplicated the info for the other half.

I included my name, phone number, e-mail and website and name of my business

You could always use vistaprint's free business cards and make up your own tag. Leave a line or space to hand write whatever extra info you need.

I cut them in half and use just half the card....the full card is to big to attach to smaller items. And vistaprint doesn't allow for that, unless you pay more and do a full editing on it.

Actually - a lot of times editing is included and you can move the lines around to where ever you want them to be. Even if you just pay the extra $3 for the 'premium' (other than free - thousands to choose from) I find it to be well worth the $3.

For those of you selling finished items, there are labeling laws that you need to follow. Small indie producers have to follow the same laws as the big manufacturers. Here are some links with more information:

Complying with the Care Labeling Rules

Rules and Regulations Under the Textile Fiber Products Identification Act

More information about other regulations

Consequences of Non-Compliance with Labeling Laws

(Information from the FTC website)Any violation of the Textile Act regulations or the Care Labeling Rule is considered an unfair and deceptive act or practice under the FTC Act. As a remedy, the Commission may issue an administrative order prohibiting the unlawful behavior. Violations of an administrative order can result in a federal district court action for civil penalties up to $11,000 per violation.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the info Amy. VERY much appreciated.

I don't mind having rules & regulations in order to sell items/products

but why do they have to make it so complicated to understand (legal jargon).

This is what I mean:

http://law.justia.com/cfr/title16/16-1.0.1.3.27.html

• 2 months later...

I thought you meant price tags. I used string tags, with the price on the front, and a stock number on the back, coresponding to my book, which lists by number, what the item is and description, when I took it in ( and left it with whom), and how much I priced it at. When I had a permanent place in a shop I inventoried quite often, about once a week, to make sure stock was refreshed, and everything accounted for. Hope that helps if it's price tags you are looking to put on.

Archived