It finally happened to me

I have a pattern here and on my blog from back in 2009 that I designed myself. Imagine my surprise last night while perusing another blog, I saw my pattern (slightly changed) as anothers new pattern. Now I am SURE that this is not on purpose or by any means done devilishly. I have been to this woman's blog for many years and enjoy her patterns immensly. Her pattern is different enough to call her own but it still kind of stinks. Perhaps this just shows that great minds do indeed think alike!

Your so very welcome! I do believe it is a coincidence, as the person who has the "new" pattern out there is someone I consider to be very reputable. It just kinda stinks when you realize maybe your idea isn't so original after all! :)

I have a pattern here and on my blog from back in 2009 that I designed myself. Imagine my surprise last night while perusing another blog, I saw my pattern (slightly changed) as anothers new pattern. Now I am SURE that this is not on purpose or by any means done devilishly. I have been to this woman's blog for many years and enjoy her patterns immensly. Her pattern is different enough to call her own but it still kind of stinks. Perhaps this just shows that great minds do indeed think alike!

I love the cat in the pic on your blog, he looks like one of mine, now deceased, except for a bit around the mouth, Spunky didn't really have any white on his head, just a little white on his two front paws, and there were huge paw, he was my big boy!

as to the pattern, sooner or later, with all this talent out there, we will probably all be falsely accused of pilfering when in fact, we have just thought of it ourselves, only later! No use being upset, it's gonna happen to everyone probably, sooner or later... Lovely blog, thanks for sharing!

Took a peek at your blog and that wedding ring afghan is gorgeous! The rest of your items and blog itself is great also. Sorry about someone using your pattern. It is yours and you know deep inside it belongs to you. Some people.........geesh

It just kinda stinks when you realize maybe your idea isn't so original after all! :)

My husband was always coming up with new ideas for things. When the internet came around, you realize how many others have had the same or similar ideas. It made the world so much smaller. lol

Maybe Audre Lorde had something when she said, "There are no new ideas. There are only new ways of making them felt."

I designed a hat for my son and after that I noticed many hats that looked the same but they were out before the one I designed! I hope it is just coincidence that the two of you came up with the same idea.

Took a peek at your blog and that wedding ring afghan is gorgeous! The rest of your items and blog itself is great also. Sorry about someone using your pattern. It is yours and you know deep inside it belongs to you. Some people.........geesh

Since none of us know what pattern is being talked about, let's please refrain from any kind of statements that the other designer "used" chichiwawa's pattern to create hers. We do not have any proof that the other designer has even seen chichiwawa's pattern. She very well may have come up with the idea completely on her own.

Making a definitive statement that the other designer used chichiwawa's pattern, as if it is an established fact, could be considered libelous. First of all, we don't want want to impugn another designer's reputation when there is no evidence she's done anything wrong. Second, if the other designer is completely innocent, I'd hate for a Crochetville member to get in trouble for making libelous statements.

I am going to ask that members not go Googling to figure out which patterns chichiwawa is talking about. If anybody does figure out the patterns in question, I'm going to ask that you keep that information to yourself and not share it through Crochetville posts, private messages, or email to other members.

Even if the designer had seen chichiwawa's original pattern, if she used it merely as inspiration to create her own original pattern (which from the description given sounds like this is the case), that is not copyright infringement. An attempt to duplicate the pattern exactly might have grounds for being infringement, but this doesn't seem to be what has happened here.

Thanks for not turning this into a copyright witch-hunt. :)

I designed a hat for my son and after that I noticed many hats that looked the same but they were out before the one I designed! I hope it is just coincidence that the two of you came up with the same idea.

Here's a perfect example of how it's possible for two (or more) people to come up with a very similar idea/design, even though they've never seen each other's work before.

I do believe it to be coincidence. I'm just a wee bit disappointed that my "genius" is perhaps not so great! :laughroll Thanks for all the kind comments. That's why I love this place, everyone is so great! :yes

Your genius isn't diminished just because someone else is a genius, too!

I started crocheting in the early 40's and my mother, sister and I crocheted hats and doll clothes etc. with no patterns. I did have some baby, doily and doll patterns but not alot. I didn't see the internet until 97 and was so surpised at all the books and things published just like we'd been doing for years without even knowing about them. As in life alot of people have the same ideas.

Archived