What matches?

Darsa

Oh goodness, I think I'm going color blind!! :think

I can't really decide; I'm making a small afghan for my 4 year old nephew, using small granny-hexagons, out of this yarn:

http://content.vcommerce.com/products/133/47576133/fullsize.jpg?-1144012208

And I need to figure out what solid yarn to use that will "go with" it! I've ruled out white because, well, it wouldn't stay white for long with this kiddo :devil and ruled out black as well, since the variegation of this yarn is pretty dark, and I don't want it to be a "dark" blankie. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might look good with this color combo?

Thanks in advance!! :hug

I would go with the red, and either of the blues, and if you want to use more colors, then the yellow, orange, and green if you can get them to match. Are you buying the yarn in person or online? It would be easier to match the solids in person. How big are making the hex's??

I've got the yarn already, the vareigated one that is, and bought it here at AC Moore. I just LOVE the color combo, it speaks to me ;)

The hexagons are pretty tiny; about 3" across from flat-side to flat-side. That's where I wasn't sure what color to use, so that it wouldn't "overpower" the whole thing. I plan to use a solid just for attaching the hex's together, then a couple of rounds (possibly) around the outside of it.

I like the mustard yellow colour in the varigated! Or you could always ask your nephew what his favourite colour is!That yarn is amazing, I love the bright colours in it. I would love to see a pic when you are done.

Well, I am color blind, (odd I know) but I would pick the darker blue or green. My challenge would be matching the color I picked. Thank goodness for DH.

I have several skeins of that variegated! The one thing I did find though with it, is it does work up to a different gauge than the solid simply soft colors. I used the same pattern and hook with making some hexagons and the variegated hexagons were noticeably bigger than the solids.

That said... As I look at my skeins of it, I would pick red as the solid to help set things off.

Hmmm, I'm thinking that we're leaning towards yellow or red as well. He loves bright colors, tho his favorite is green; haven't found any greens yet that are really working with this yarn, in my eyes. :)

I also felt that the vareigated yarn is noticeably thicker than the solids in the Simply Soft; I think I might use a different brand for the solid.

I just got 8 skeins of this (they are mill ends). I am going to make a rectangular granny square. I am going to start with Gold, then a skein of tapestry, tea leaf, verigated, medium purple, verigated, blue. Then repeat. All the solids are RH

super saver. The solids are going to be 1 row each. Not sure how I gonna do the edge yet, just got the yarn Sunday. Actually there were 13 skeins of this yarn. I am going to do 4,3,3,3. The border is going to be a row of each solid color.

Okay! So I went to AC Moore with one of my hexagons and walked around the yarn dept my whole lunch break, lol. I tried practically every color there, finally ended up with Vanna's Choice in "Aqua". Used it to border a square and WOW, it looks amazing!! :clap

I've got 24 squares done, need to do about 8 more. Will definitely post a pic when it's done. Thanks for the help, all! :D

Archived