question about wool yarn and felting

funnymom8

Hi, I've been accumulating different wool yarns, in hopes of making something felted, at least once in my life. My question is can I use different brand wool yarns in the same project? Are all 100% wools the same no matter of the label? I'm hoping to make a purse/tote, don't know what else to make:think. thanks for any help......

You'll have the best results if the wools are also the same size. You could also make a little test swatch--crochet a hdc row each of all the wools you want to blend (10-15 stitches wide is plenty), then handfelt the swatch to see how they work together.

Thank you for your help. I found out that my yarn was very old. When I pulled it out by the center for the beginning end, I tore out a big hank.:( I didn't know what was going on, but I found someone to ask. Needless to say, I was disappointed. Guess I'll invest in new wool next time.

I have used different brands of wool in my felting projects....Sometimes the different brands will felt at different rates....Especialy Paton's SWS wool...it felts very fast.

If you want to use up some of that old wool, you could make coasters. They work up really fast. I made circles and just washed them in the washing machine with hot water, with some towels. Here's a link to my blog that has the photos. http://cajunmuse.blogspot.com/

Archived