I made my first...

post-op crochet item.:clap I had Ulnar nerve surgery four weeks ago and after two weeks of physical therapy i picked up my hook...:eekwithout doctor's permission...shhhh don't tell:devil. I actually took a whole week to make a bath scrubby. Instead of working for hours without a break i am crocheting for short intervals, then resting. I have no pain and my rehab is going great.:cheer. It is a great thing to be able to keep my hands busy again.

I'm glad that you are back from surgery! I think if you check with your PT, you are helping with your recovery by crocheting in small sections, just don't overdo it! I actually had a broken elbow three years ago, and I crocheted to help get my mobility back.

Good to hear that you're doing well.

My doctor diagnosed me with both carpal tunnel and ulnar tunnel syndrome in the same wrist about two years ago. Thankfully, he told me that my crocheting helps to keep my wrist limber and extra B6 helps keep the swelling down. He said that as long as I continue that, I might be able to avoid the surgery altogether.

Just be careful that you don't overdo. That would be something that you don't need.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chrissy -- I am facing this surgery now. Have not set up dates yet. I want to go up and visit my son & granddaughters first. I have not even seen the ortho surgeon yet as the doctor's office keeps neglecting to get the referral in. I have had the EMG tests and since it showed the entrapment was pretty bad and muscle wasting is already obvious (you can see a dented in place on the side of my hand and just past my wrist on my arm too) they said surgery will be required. The doc explained they will route the nerve around the front instead of where it currently lies at the back of the elbow. Is this what you had done? I am encouraged as you are crocheting at 4 weeks post op. I miss my crochet so much! I can do some, but it is difficult to keep tension consistent and I get frustrated easily. Even typing is a problem & I have to go back over everything I type to correct all of the left hand mistakes. I am guessing you are glad you had the surgery since you are getting back to crochet. Would you be interested in giving me any further details or tips?

Archived