Do you ever wonder why you bought a yarn or thread?

Today while at Walmart I went in the craft section to pick up some embroidery floss to fix a button on my new jacket. They didn't have any so I decided to check the crochet thread to see if they had some in the color I needed in the same thickness. No again. However I saw this beautiful burgundy thread and decided I had to have. I got home and realized I have no idea what I'm going to make out of it. There's not anything special about it. It's just normal size 10 cotton thread in a normal burgundy color. I think I might make something for Christmas. Get a early start on making decoration since we have so few.

Any ideas on something to make or a story to share about a yarn/thread or other crochet item you had to have and later wondered why?

LOL, yes. It's called "impulse buying".

At the moment I have a number of beautifully colored threads and no specific project in mind. I might need them, you know! ;) Ditto on the yarns. I do think, though, that I am more apt to buy for a project and then change my mind about what to make with the yarn.

I havae totes full of yarns that i wonder why i bought them. As for something to make with the burgandy thread...now that christmas is on sale i go out and buy the 9 foot bead garlands cheap and use them to crochet around. Burgandy is lovely with gold and sliver beads

I can usually remember "why" I bought something. But I have bought a fair amount of yarn thinking I would do something with it that turns out to be not such a good plan, or I just plain change my mind about.

Thread is in a different category for me though. I've made some freeform things I was very happy with, and you never know what color you will need for that.

i buy yarn that makes me smile when I look at it. I have a skein right now that I LOVE! I love just looking at the ball. Now trying to find a pattern for it that pleases me has been a whole different matter. I've already frogged it twice :D

I seldom buy yarn knowing specifically what I'm going to do with it! :lol

I bought a lot of yarn on impulse with some general ideas of how I would use it. When I got a couple of afghan requests from my dd, she and dgd ended up switching some of the colors I had planned to use together. Same for my charity hats, I ended up mixing and matching differently than I had in mind.

I have a huge thread stash purchased mainly because I love color....it is all intended for doilies mainly. I have no particular patterns in mind.

I impulse buy yarn too often. "OH! That's pretty! (interesting, odd, bright...insert any yarn related description...)" and bam, the yarn somehow ends up in my cart.

My mom and I joke around about not being able to resist the cries of the yarn being left behind on the shelves. And occasionally, when we get to the register, we find yarn that jumped all by itself into our carts, or yarn that's chased us halfway across the store begging to be taken home. We cant resist the poor orphan skeins. We have to give it a home. Even if we have no idea what to do with the skeins once they get home.

Into the stash cabinet with the rest of the orphan skeins! Someday to be put to good use.

Archived