washing skeins??

I had bought some skeins at a thrift store, and it's alot of yarn but now I notice it's a bit dirty. I'm planning to wash each one tied in nylon stocking/pantyhose legs. Anyone have any experience and can offer advice before I get a huge mess on my hands?? I'm hoping they'll dry well and then I'll just put it all in balls.:hook

make sure u wrap rubber bands around it, I wash mine inside nylons, with rubber bads wrapped around it (I use 2) and on the delicate cycle. Then in the dryer on low heat and it usually takes 2 cycles to get throughto the center.

Don't use knee highs! I ran out of nylons (because I never wear them--who wears pantyhose in the desert?) and used some knee highs instead, and they didn't stay 'closed' the way skeins stuffed into the legs and feet of pantyhose do. It took several hours of untangling to straighten it out.

But it does work to clean yard sale yarn scores, without all the hand washing.

i would and have done the above, in a panty hose leg, with rubberbands, etc. My only advice would be to let the washer fill, add your deterg. and then shut the washer off and let soak a few minutes. After soaking, run on a very short agitation cycle, same with rinse cycle. The less and shorter agitation insures yarn to stay intact. Then dry in a warm dryer, and I always let mine sit out a day or two, before disturbing it, to insure it's totally dry. and the soaking takes out the "dirt" very effectively without so much agitating.

I have done this quite a bit. I put the skein down one of my husband's white tube socks then twist the top closes. Wash and dry normally and they turn out looking great and feeling much softer. If I get one of those larger skeins that don't fit in the sock, I put it in a pillow case and twist that closed. Wash and dry as I normally would a pillow case and the skein comes out looking and feeling clean and soft.

If I get one of those larger skeins that don't fit in the sock, I put it in a pillow case and twist that closed.

you can get zippered pillow protectors at stores like WalMart. I use a very large one (for body pillows) to wash afghans in.

I Actualy just had to do this the other day.. I notice a jumbo skein of yarn i had smelled bad. so I stuffed it in a pillow case and tied it off as close to the skein as i could soit was nice n tight and wouldnt move around in the pillowcase. I washed it on delicate cycle. then put it in the dryer on low. and it came out PERFECT! no winding. nothing. :).

Archived