Stuffing?

I was completing an ornament tonight and realized I was out of stuffing for it. Didn't want to go to the store, so I improvised. I used the rest of the yarn that I made the ornament with as stuffing, but it wasn't enough. So then I went to the closet. No cotton balls. Now what can I use. There was gauze in the closet, so I used that. It got the job done.

So what have you used in an emergency to stuff something you have made?

I save all my little yarn scraps in baggies to use in a pinch. I will confess, though, to tearing apart one of my oldest DD's stuffed animals (one of those really cheap nasty ones that fall apart after a while anyway) when I needed something done ASAP and I couldn't justify the 40-mile roundtrip drive to get to the store. :)

I have been known to use fabric scraps. It's not great. Tissues aren't either.

I finally bought a 5 pound box of fiberfill, ha ha, ha! I had NO idea ~ it came up and out of there like a volcano when I opened it!!! I'll be using this for years and years!!!

For a lack of funds and a lack of stuffing, I've used popcorn kernels (the kind you pop on the stovetop in a pot) and also plarn.

Pantyhose/nylons also work (and if you are using yarn scraps, keep them from poking out.) Also handy if you are using something to weight a stuffie (so it can sit, or whatever)...

So now I never toss my stockings when they get a run that shows.:lol I just cram them into a zipper baggie for stuffing. :D (they're also super for stuffing itty-bitty creations)

of course, they're also handy for polishing shoes, tying up plants, etc...but I have to have at least a couple reserved for stuffing :D

Oh, and used dryer sheets can be used, but it takes a lot, as they tend to go flat.

HTH

I have used quilt batting...not very soft and I had to cut it into pieces because it did not shred well; cut up a foam cushion into little squares; ***** yarn; I cut off the pile of some furry fabric....pieces too small to use; the selvage from fabric,especially fleece; cotton balls, dry clean baby wipes...I didn't dry them on purpose, they dried out by accident ....dried beans,corn, barley.....seed pillows; potpourri for aroma pillows; definitely stuffed animals...wash first,then unstuff to dry...lol

my point is that almost anything can be used,depending on washing necessity,sand for draft dodgers for instance...be sure to put the sand in a casing before surrounding it with crochet work.....oh, almost forgot used dryer sheets, and lint

has anyone ever tried tumble dryer sheets , after using them i started to collect them , and they smell really nice as well, i havent used any yet but its a thought

Using the dryer sheets reminds me of one time when i was about 15. I used to dance for this student dance company for several years, and i was in nine years' worth of their production of "The Nutcracker?" (it was a modern dance company with an alternative nutcracker story: Klara, with a K, is homeless in act one and meets a gypsy and a biker dude who transform into the sugarplum fairy (danced by me...twice!!) and prince; act two has dances inspired by different nations, everyone's happy in the end.)

So I got a sweatshirt each year, and so I have QUITE a stash of them. I decided to make a pillow out of one of the ones that was my lesser favorites, and for 2 years or so, i collected dryer lint to stuff it with. :think I do not suggest this. I FINALLY stuffed the pillow, and everytime I went to use it, there would be a puff of dust and it would get in my mouth and I'd sneeze and stuff....:oopskinda funny though--at least it's original and clever... hehe

I still have the pillow, but it sits in my closet at my dad's house....i think...ha!

--jenny

Using the dryer sheets reminds me of one time when i was about 15. I used to dance for this student dance company for several years, and i was in nine years' worth of their production of "The Nutcracker?" (it was a modern dance company with an alternative nutcracker story: Klara, with a K, is homeless in act one and meets a gypsy and a biker dude who transform into the sugarplum fairy (danced by me...twice!!) and prince; act two has dances inspired by different nations, everyone's happy in the end.)

So I got a sweatshirt each year, and so I have QUITE a stash of them. I decided to make a pillow out of one of the ones that was my lesser favorites, and for 2 years or so, i collected dryer lint to stuff it with. :think I do not suggest this. I FINALLY stuffed the pillow, and everytime I went to use it, there would be a puff of dust and it would get in my mouth and I'd sneeze and stuff....:oopskinda funny though--at least it's original and clever... hehe

I still have the pillow, but it sits in my closet at my dad's house....i think...ha!

--jenny

oh, maybe its not a good idea after all , i didnt realize that would happen, thanks for that .

oh, maybe its not a good idea after all , i didnt realize that would happen, thanks for that .

i think a used dryer sheet (or even an unused one) would be fine--I was using the lint from the lint trap...

worth a shot, i think :U

I have used an old sock and felt scraps. If the item is not going be washed you can use gift wrap as a filler.

what about for a pillow? thinking ahead for a throw-pillow I'm wanting to make that I may also use to sleep/nap/sit on. Any suggestions there?

I was thinking if I could get what I consider to be a reasonable deal on batting, I'd go that route, unless there's a more advisable suggestion out there? :flower

Archived