Cotton shawl??

CrochettingMama

Has anyone ever used cotton for a shawl?? I mean the peaches and cream cotton from a cone, not the thread?

I have some on the cone in a pretty variegated yellow and was wondering if it would even work and be pretty??

There is no yarn store within 50 miles or more of where I live, so I have to use whatever Wal-Mart has in stock. The only natural fiber yarn they have is Peaches & Creme and the colors they have are very limited. WM recently got in a few more different colors, but still not the ones I want.

I made a Sweet Pea shawl using a cone of white. Though it's only a template, it turned out very pretty. I call it a template because I wanted to see if one cone was enough to make one Sweet Pea shawl so I wouldn't have a bunch of knots to deal with when using the smaller balls. The Sweet Pea is so light and lacy that it isn't a good one for hiding knots, IMO. Now that I know one cone is enough for one shawl, I'll have to order the colors I want to make the shawls in because WM only carries white, ecru, and a couple of ombres in the cones.

I also made a half-granny shawl using a strand of white and ecru together, from cones, and one of the huge hooks...size P, I think. This one worked up fast because the stitches are so big. It's just one to wear around the house and keep the chill off my shoulders during cold weather.

I have made some other shawls using the balls. One is the Country Cotton shawl, pattern free at the Lion Brand site, that I made for a friend. Another is the Full Moon shawl, also free at Lion Brand site, for another friend. The one I made for me is a bat/angel/butterfly wing type shawl, the pattern I reverse engineered from a shawl I saw and loved on an old TV show. I have the first season on DVD, and fortunately, the shawl was shown on one of those eps. After many, MANY hours of pausing and slow-mo, I was able to get the pattern worked out. :c9 It's as much of an exact duplicate as I could make it. It turned out warm and cozy and nicely drapey because I used a K hook and triple crochet stitches. I made it in light blue, but it, too, is really a template, to see how much yarn I needed. I'll be ordering a couple of cones of mauve to make it again for my permanent shawl, and either give away the blue one or rip it out and make something else with it. With these, it was pretty easy to hide the knots, but fewer knots is always a good thing. :hook

There are probably softer, lighter, nicer yarns to make these shawls with, but since I don't have easy access to them to try them out, I make do with what I have. I like the Peaches & Creme, balls and cones, for making shawls.

Hope this helps. :)

• 5 weeks later...

I have plenty of cotton yarn on the spools that I will use for shawls when I can get to it. My sister gave me 2 beautiful shawls she crocheted in cotton and I think it was off the spool. One was a cream color and the other one is like off white. I love them both and they are very comfortable!

I just saw this thread, I have a question... Wouldn't the shawl from cotton shrink when you washed and dried it?.. I know my dishcloths shrink a lot.. Other than that, it sure would be a nice and comfy shawl... GBU!:):)

yeah like anything made with natural fiber, whether it be cotton or wool or others , it will require some special care to stay nice. This would include not drying it in a dryer etc.

Hmmmm, haven't thought of these issues! I got the 2 cotton shawls from my sis awhile back but I only wear them once in awhile and have not needed to wash them as yet. I will remember to air dry them when I do need to wash them.

Archived