What next...

So I didn't know where to post this... but I am kind of stuck :think on what to crochet next. I am a beginner to the crochet world so my abilities are a little lacking. I am nearing the end of my first afghan :yay and have made a hat and now I have no idea what to do next. I don't mind challenging myself a little (how else will I get better and learn new things :D). So I am taking suggestions... Oh yeah I don't have much money to spend on yarn and hooks and such so that kind of limits things. So does anyone know of a fairly easy, cheap project that I can do? I would rather not get into another afghan if possible but hey if something sparks my fancy I might just do it. Thanks for any advice/suggestions! :)

Get some cotton yarn and try a few dishcloths and washcloths. I thought the women were kidding when they said once you tried these, you will never go back to commercial cloths. Well, they weren't joking. They really are great, and they hold up.

My first washcloth was a gift, even though I crochet, and when I tried it out in the shower I fell in love with it! I knew right then I'd have to test a few patterns to see what I'd like to make into that just right scrubbiness, combined with the softness.

Then I wanted face cloths specifically for steaming my face. When I tried it with my washcloths, my fingernails went right through to my face, oops! So I made small cloths done all in sc for my steaming. That worked out great.

I might make some little facial wipes next.

Get some cotton yarn and try a few dishcloths and washcloths. I thought the women were kidding when they said once you tried these, you will never go back to commercial cloths. Well, they weren't joking. They really are great, and they hold up.

My first washcloth was a gift, even though I crochet, and when I tried it out in the shower I fell in love with it! I knew right then I'd have to test a few patterns to see what I'd like to make into that just right scrubbiness, combined with the softness.

Then I wanted face cloths specifically for steaming my face. When I tried it with my washcloths, my fingernails went right through to my face, oops! So I made small cloths done all in sc for my steaming. That worked out great.

I might make some little facial wipes next.

I second this.... this is what i was gonna do.. on top of make some covers for some of my Apliances. I dont like how clutterd my counters look.. so most of them are stored in the cupbards.. only the items i use daily are out...

try mabey some mittens, baby booties, Baby bonnets ect

Well, if you made an afghan then you know how to crochet rows, and if you made a hat, then you know how to crochet in the round...I'd say you can move on to just about anything...how about a scarf to go with the hat you made?

Baby items are a great way to try out new techniques in a timely manner and use up small amounts of left over yarn. If there isn't a little baby in your life, there are many places that take donations for baby items. In fact, you could even check out the "crochet for charity" section right here on crochetville!

Here are some sweater patterns that I like:

http://www.yarnydays.com/2009/01/bombay-love.html

http://www.abigailgoss.com/KYBS.htm

http://bellabambinaknits.blogspot.com/2007/03/kellys-sweater.html

This is an easy bootie pattern that is worked in the round and uses double crochet, halfdouble crochet, single crochet and slipstich. It also uses decreases, so for that reason it is also a great learning pattern.:

http://crotiques.com/tieashoe.htm

Wow great ideas so far! Jessica my cousin just had a baby boy and a lady at church will be having a baby soon as well. I have been looking at baby items to make just having trouble deciding. I have super saver yarn from Red Heart and I was afraid that this material would be too harsh on a baby's skin. Thanks all for the ideas so far!

Something that uses a small ammount of yarn and are quick to complete are little stuffed animals. Children love the little small ones to hold in their hands and chew on (so make sure to use something other than buttons or beads for the eyes) I have made several for my son and there are many free patterns at crochetpatterncentral.com Some of them can be finished in an evening. My son also likes little crochet food items to play with. He pretends to cook with them. Little fridge magnets and bookmarks are fun too.

Ashee, just wash anything you make before you give it away, and you'd be surprised how soft even the harsher yarns like Red Heart become. Plus you can check and make sure no ends pop out during agitation.

Well, since it's summer, how about using more of that cotton yarn to also make some placemats and coasters for eating outside? Or, if you want to look forward to winter, how about some wristlets for yourself for fall, when cool weather comes? That would go with the hat and scarf, too, and depending on the pattern, you could learn to increase and decrease to shape items.

There are lots of one skein projects (and books with that name), so just surf away and I'm sure you'll find lots of ideas to pique your curiosity.

Patty

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I finally finished the afghan but I still haven't decided on a project. I have been thinking of a granny square baby-ghan but I can not find an pattern that I want to do yet. Do any of you have a really cute baby-afghan (preferably granny square) patterns that you don't mind sharing?

Archived