Moth balls!

I was given a plastic tote with some miscellaneous yarn in it...about a year ago...I was cleaning the basement yesterday, found it again, brought it up to check it out...soon as I opened it I was assaulted with the smell of moth balls! I immediately set the whole thing outside, open, where it sat all night...brought it back in this morning, and it STILL smells! Is there any hope for this yarn? Moth balls...pee yew! :irk

Let me guess: an older lady gave you the yarn?

:eek Easy on the age discrimination :lol :lol :lol I just turned 60 myself, but I certainly wouldn't use mothballs in my yarn stash. Maybe the lady was worried that moths would chew up the yarn. For whatever reason, I hope the yarn can be salvaged.

Baking soda fridge pack things... I have this prob but mine smells of siggy smoke.. I bought one of the baking soda fridge packs and put it in the box and have set it up to sit for a while.. SO not sure how long but i'm gonna check it in a few weeks

I don't know if anything removes moth ball smell. Leaving it outside for about 10 years might do it.

LOL, I'll be 60 this summer. I was thinking a bit older than that but... I guess there are some 60 year olds who also fear moths enough to use stinky mothballs.

Welcome to the 60's :P and a early Happy Birthday to you! :yay

:cake:bday

We, actually everybody, got a note in our mailbox....from our mail carriers, to put mothballs in our mailboxes to keep the bees and wasps away. I guess I will have to go out and get some of those infamous mothballs :lol

First of all, GET RID OF THE PLASTIC BIN! The moth ball smell will be impossible to remove from the plastic but the yarn should be salvagable. Lay it all out in a single layer in the fresh air and sun for a day. Then, use a large box or new container and put a layer of kitty litter(clay kind only) top with a layer of clean, white paper and put the yarn on top and close the box. Check after a day or so and it may be necessary to replace the kitty litter a couple times but the smell should be gone soon enough.

Daisy thanks for sharing the mailmans request. I'll do that to.

I've got lots of bees and wasps around my front porch, and my mailbox is right out front by the curb. The bees do have a way of being annoying by hanging out around the mailboxes. I can see the postal carriers concern.

I have to get rid of them by my porch railing. It's wood and they want to make those mud hives around the posts and around my front window. Those little stinging buggers drive me crazy in the summer.....time for RAID!

I don't mind the honey bees or the bumble bees, but wasps and hornets are nasty!

Thank you, Daisy. I'm not quiiiite there yet but kind of trying it out in my head. :blink

Awwwww, turning 60 isn't so bad, it's like being 59 with a new number attached. Just don't say the number six-O :lol

Now, when 70 :eek rolls around for me, I will shriek and bellow, and cry and then faint! :lol:faint

Thanks for all the tips...and I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone in their 60's, that's why I said not MUCH older...lol...not sure why the lady used moth balls, but honest to goodness I've never smelled anything worse...going to try the cat litter trick first, and get rid of the stinky tote and hope for the best. :)

Thanks for all the tips...and I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone in their 60's, that's why I said not MUCH older...lol...not sure why the lady used moth balls, but honest to goodness I've never smelled anything worse...going to try the cat litter trick first, and get rid of the stinky tote and hope for the best. :)

No offenses taken. I just had to get a good laugh over that....expecially since I just turned 60 :lol As long as some of us are part of the so called "over the hill" era, we can still share a laugh and joke about it. It's what keeps us young in heart. Thank you for the smiles. :D

Offended? Not in the least, but definitely amused. There are a whole bunch of what I call "old ladies" at church in their 80s and even 90s. They call me a child, LOL — at nearly 60 and with eight grandchildren! It's just all your perspective. Nothing more. ;)

Our neighborhood was plagued by wasps....went to a home depot and got a wasp bag....a gray bag that looks like a wasp nest....actually worked....you can make one yourself with a gray and it must be gray....I guess they are not color blind...lol...stuff it lightly with newspaper and hang in a prodominate place. Wasps and hornets will not make a nest in a 'taken' area.This will not interfer with bees and 'good' insects

Archived