May Charity CAL 5/27 - 6/1

nicolep

Lindsay, I love your new block. The multi-colored one is so pretty. I can already picture a scarf. I have been to Germany and England (London) and wow, the postage rates there are amazing. My pen-pal in Germany is shocked that I can still post a letter to her for less than $1 (US). It cost me $1 (US) to send POSTCARDS home from London!! So I empathize with you over sending things to the US.

I have to admit that I started a cat mat tonight. I dropped my foster-kittens off at the shelter today for their spay/neuter surgeries and when I saw all the cats in need, I had to get started tonight! I'm not emotional or anything, right?? :wink

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all ready to get started this evening!

Lindsay - I love the squares. You do very pretty work.

babypoohsmom - I understand what it is to be emotional over cats (animals in general). I have four cats, three from shelters and one rescued off the streets. I have a soft spot in my heart for their furry, little faces myself.

Hi Nicole (and everyone), my name is Denise. Easier than babypoohsmom! Pooh is my cat, and he was sort of a baby when I first signed up here. I lurked for a LONG time before I started posting. He's the fur ball in my avatar. I was working at our city's recycling center doing accounting when he was brought in to me. Someone had actually put him in their recycle bin!! Crazy.

I became a volunteer at a no kill shelter soon after. I still do charity crochet for vets and I always make a special olympics scarf, but most of what I do is for the shelter. (Although a few months ago I became addicted to the never-ending-granny's-square thing I found on Lindsay's blog.)

I almost finished that mat last night. Yeah!

Beautiful kitties, Nicole.

I've got my first scarf started. Well, actually, restarted. I had to make a visit to the frog pond. The first combination of yarns didn't work out at all well. This combination is working well and it's going pretty quickly. :hook

Lindsay, I love your new block. The multi-colored one is so pretty. I can already picture a scarf. I have been to Germany and England (London) and wow, the postage rates there are amazing. My pen-pal in Germany is shocked that I can still post a letter to her for less than $1 (US). It cost me $1 (US) to send POSTCARDS home from London!! So I empathize with you over sending things to the US.

I have to admit that I started a cat mat tonight. I dropped my foster-kittens off at the shelter today for their spay/neuter surgeries and when I saw all the cats in need, I had to get started tonight! I'm not emotional or anything, right?? :wink

Thanks Denise I live the new block too :clapbut after making 18 for two scarves I was glad to go back to the basic 'no thinking required' type later today! I also made half a dozen of my fancy squares last night but like your cat mat I am squeezing it into this weekend's achievements!:D If we were not emotional about the people and pets who need our crocheted items then we wouldn't make our things ....I think being sentimental goes with the territory. :manyheart

I'm all ready to get started this evening!

Lindsay - I love the squares. You do very pretty work.

babypoohsmom - I understand what it is to be emotional over cats (animals in general). I have four cats, three from shelters and one rescued off the streets. I have a soft spot in my heart for their furry, little faces myself.

Thanks for thenice comment Nicole. Your cats are adorable! :manyheart

Beautiful kitties, Nicole.

I've got my first scarf started. Well, actually, restarted. I had to make a visit to the frog pond. The first combination of yarns didn't work out at all well. This combination is working well and it's going pretty quickly. :hook

Well done on getting your scarf started (or re-started I had never heard that one about a visit to the frog pond what a laugh!!!:lol) I was going to stick with squares for scarves but got sidetracked into starting a giant granny blanket as well (using some of the charity shop wool bargains I got yesterday and could not resist trying out:eek) and then when I got tired of making fancy squares I picked up some of my 'Never Ending Blanket' Squares too...so it looks like I will be juggling projects this weekend!:hook

Well, I finished the cat mat I started (a wee bit early) last night. Got the ends tucked in and everything. Then started a new one of course! I am happy to say that I recently got a grocery bag full of yarn donated to me and I am on a roll.

Nicole, your cats are adorable. I only have two and that seems like a handful sometimes. We also take care of a cat that basically lives in our garage. Our neighbor doesn't believe in letting her cats indoors (even when it's 110+), spay/neuter surgeries or vet appointments! Sigh.

And Lindsay, I know how you feel with project ADD. When I look around my room, my brain flits form one thing to the next with equal excitement. Add to that, the fact that I also quilt, rubber stamp and cross stitch and it's a wonder I ever fnish anything!

I have two goofy movies to watch this weekend: Ghosts of Girlfriends Past and Did You Hear About the Morgans, AND there is a pay-per-view MMA match that I am sure we will buy. Those things last 3 hours at least, so I am sure to get SOMETHING done!!

But I guess I'd better get back to work first and get fired up after 5! :cheer

Well I am late to the party but have been with you in spirit. Illness in extended family has distracted me but I should be going later today. Have our daughters boxer puppy too this weekend so have to take time for outdoor play and walks (no fenced yard so "grandma" has to go too). I will be checking in later.

Well, I finished the cat mat I started (a wee bit early) last night. Got the ends tucked in and everything. Then started a new one of course! I am happy to say that I recently got a grocery bag full of yarn donated to me and I am on a roll.

Nicole, your cats are adorable. I only have two and that seems like a handful sometimes. We also take care of a cat that basically lives in our garage. Our neighbor doesn't believe in letting her cats indoors (even when it's 110+), spay/neuter surgeries or vet appointments! Sigh.

And Lindsay, I know how you feel with project ADD. When I look around my room, my brain flits form one thing to the next with equal excitement. Add to that, the fact that I also quilt, rubber stamp and cross stitch and it's a wonder I ever fnish anything!

I have two goofy movies to watch this weekend: Ghosts of Girlfriends Past and Did You Hear About the Morgans, AND there is a pay-per-view MMA match that I am sure we will buy. Those things last 3 hours at least, so I am sure to get SOMETHING done!!

But I guess I'd better get back to work first and get fired up after 5! :cheer

:clapGreat work on getting one bed finished and another started. I started a giant granny blanket yesterday and managed to get it finished today and the ends sewn in and everything too (it is only about 35inches squares as the wool was chunky! and I have made 7 flowers today to decorate it wilth too!)

We must be on a real roll this weekend I have a good feeling about our group totals for this month!:D I have a couple of DVDs lined up for the weekend too Sunshine Cleaning and Feast of Love! We cannot decide whether to keep them for later in the weekend or watch them tonight!:lol

Well I am late to the party but have been with you in spirit. Illness in extended family has distracted me but I should be going later today. Have our daughters boxer puppy too this weekend so have to take time for outdoor play and walks (no fenced yard so "grandma" has to go too). I will be checking in later.

:) Lovely to see you Darlene. Oh dear puppy walking is more about being pulled in circles until you end up tangled in the lead ...Good Luck!:lol

My scarf had to go to the frog pond. I didn't have enough yarn to finish the scarf so backed up about 60 rows and am splicing in a second color which I'll alternate with the first color. Sigh! Yesterday just didn't go the way I wanted it to. Well, back to it. :hook

My scarf had to go to the frog pond. I didn't have enough yarn to finish the scarf so backed up about 60 rows and am splicing in a second color which I'll alternate with the first color. Sigh! Yesterday just didn't go the way I wanted it to. Well, back to it. :hook

Bad days like that with your :crocheting are a nightmare! At least you got it sorted colour wise now!:)

Working on a baby round ripple - about 15" in diameter at this point. Will finish this today and hopefully work on a WIP from last month I stopped at the end of weekend.

Hi, everyone. Yup, I've got that scarf back on track and have started a second one even before finishing the first one. :hook:devil:hook

I'm glad the scarf is back on track, Linda

I had to take the afternoon off from crocheting to do grocery shopping and some house work. Try as I might, I can't get this house to clean itself.

I have finished quite a few preemie hats. I started a scarf. I plan on working on a preemieghan this evening while watching TV.

I hope everyone is having a fabulous, safe Memorial Day weekend (those of us in the US) and Lindsay...I can't remember what holiday you're celebrating. :blush Sorry!

Hi all,

Well, my husband wanted to see Avatar, so I went off to Red Box to rent it. Ugh, that's 2 and 1/2 hours of my life I will never get back. Good thing it was only $1 to rent!! The upside you ask? I got about 2/3's of a cat mat done. My hand kept getting sore; after my marathon last night I guess that is expected.

Lindsay is enjoying a Spring Bank Holiday. I have a calendar that has international holidays listed on them, and I don't know who gets more holidays, the UK, or Australia. I'm thinking of making a tally and becoming an ex-Pat.

I'm glad the scarf is back on track, Linda

I had to take the afternoon off from crocheting to do grocery shopping and some house work. Try as I might, I can't get this house to clean itself.

I have finished quite a few preemie hats. I started a scarf. I plan on working on a preemieghan this evening while watching TV.

I hope everyone is having a fabulous, safe Memorial Day weekend (those of us in the US) and Lindsay...I can't remember what holiday you're celebrating. :blush Sorry!

Self cleaning houses/flats would be good I lost most of yesterday to church and then housework but did get a few more squares started and all the ends of the batch of squares I made on Saturday sewn in (I am doing ends as I go along you make less during the weekend but in February I made like 100 squares during the weekend and the ends to sew in afterwards were miserable and kind of took the shine off the achievement!:( Oh and Denise is right it is Spring Bank Holiday weekend here!

Darlene - Your preemie ripple sounds lovely they are so nice when they are finished. I wish I could ripple (mainly because I like the idea of saying I was rippling today!:lol

Linda - I'm glad the second attempt at a scarf worked out and that your 2nd one is already on the go!:)

Denise - :angry about the DVD ours were both awful too (we turned off Feast of Love as it had no plot at all and Sunshine Cleaning was kind of grim too a dissappointing selection for the weekend!) At least you got your cat bed made I cannot crochet with the DVDs on so if they are not good they completely waste my time!:think And your were right about the Spring bank holiday but to tell you the the truth holidays don't mean much to you when you don't work :blush unless they have some kind of special meaning like Christmas or Easter or whatever!:D

I'm off now for a cup of tea and to hang up the washing (it is a lovely day today here BTW) and then maybe a quick look at any Bank Holiday sales (we are looking for a new sofa!) then back to the crochet!

Happy Crocheting!:hook

Hi all,

Well, my husband wanted to see Avatar, so I went off to Red Box to rent it. Ugh, that's 2 and 1/2 hours of my life I will never get back. Good thing it was only $1 to rent!! The upside you ask? I got about 2/3's of a cat mat done. My hand kept getting sore; after my marathon last night I guess that is expected.

Lindsay is enjoying a Spring Bank Holiday. I have a calendar that has international holidays listed on them, and I don't know who gets more holidays, the UK, or Australia. I'm thinking of making a tally and becoming an ex-Pat.

:lol If you are going for the ex-Pat think go for Australia at least they have the weather. Today is nice here but sunshine is not our strong point and I think you would miss it terribly coming from Arizona!:)

'Morning, it is YUKKY outside. More rain....no BBQing today outside. Went out quickly and emptied the saucers under my plants on the deck....they are drowning. Need to take Mia, DD's boxer, for a walk but she'd rather cuddle on the couch. Hard to crochet with a 65 lb "furnace" tucked against your side, and she snores! Also have to work for a few hours today. Just not in the mood to type long medical dictations before my coffee and breakfast.

There is another new CAL for WIP's, kind of goes along with the stash busting CAL. Threw my hat in the ring on that one too as I have way to may WIP's hanging around. The two baby items I'm working on here have priority. Did make two quick dishcloths for my MIL yesterday. Spent some time just browsing through patterns also. My favorite baby hat is knit but I want to find a quicker crochet pattern that I like. Maybe it is all the rain but my brain keeps screaming HATS, HATS, HATS, or it is the little bits of yarn I have rolled sitting in a glass vase on the table next to me. Didn't find what I was looking for.

Ummm, I can smell the coffee. Any one what to share a virtual cinnamon roll? No calories!

Archived