May Charity CAL 5/27 - 6/1

nicolep

I usually like to post the dates about a week and a half early. I was going to make it for 5/20 - 5/25, but wanted to get some opinions first. Would you rather keep it on the third week or move it for the month of May to Memorial Day weekend. For those of us that work, we will get a little extra time. However, I know that's a busy time for everyone.

Just putting a feeler out there for everyone. Let me know what you think! Thanks and I look forward to seeing you all whether it's the third weekend or the last.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in for either weekend. We don't have a Memorial Day holiday in May(We have Remembrance Day in November instead) but that Monday is a long weekend for us too our Spring Bank Holiday weekend. I don't work anymore but I can see how it would give people who do a bit of extra time with their :hook! I need to start thinking about what to make for this months charity weekend!:)

I'm leaning towrads moving it to Memorial Day weekend. I will be off work and won't have hockey practice. There will be much more time for me to dedicate to charity crochet. If it works out well for everyone that's what I'll do.

Ok Memorial Day/Sprink Bank Holiday weekend it is. That works out as we have had something come up for next Thursday morning which could take ten minutes or all day:think but the following weekend it looking free and clear for :hook! See you all then!:clap

sounds great! I'll have a nice 3-day weekend all by myself just to sit, crochet and watch movies.....know any good movies??? I did watch a very good BBC miniseries last night...oh so very good!

I'm looking forward to the long weekend myself. I haven't had a crochet hook in my hand for so long between work and practice. We won't practice as much once the games start. I'm so tired! We practice four times during the week and twice on Saturday and Sunday. Once the season starts, we'll only practice three times during the week. We play games on Saturday so we don't have to practice on the weekend. I'm glad I decided to play in this league, but I wasn't prepared for how competitive it would be.

Linda - Glad to have you!

Just bumping this back up so it doesn't get lost on the infamous page 2!

:rofl :rofl :rofl Can't have that!

Oops, we sank to page 6 when I checked in this morning. Just ripped out the summer shell that I had started for myself (about half of the front done). I love variegated yarn on the skein but am usually not happy with how it works up. About the only time I consistently like it is in cotton potholders. So, more yarn for the next baby blankets though I have to purchase some white to tone this down. Looks like my summer shell will have to wait. I'm trying to complete two baby afghans before we start. I want to start a new project, with new yarn for this new month! Out with the old, in with the new.....now to find a new pattern!

Oops, we sank to page 6 when I checked in this morning. Just ripped out the summer shell that I had started for myself (about half of the front done). I love variegated yarn on the skein but am usually not happy with how it works up. About the only time I consistently like it is in cotton potholders. So, more yarn for the next baby blankets though I have to purchase some white to tone this down. Looks like my summer shell will have to wait. I'm trying to complete two baby afghans before we start. I want to start a new project, with new yarn for this new month! Out with the old, in with the new.....now to find a new pattern!

I hate that with variegated yarn the way sometimes you LOVE the way it looks crocheted up and someties you think OH NO!:eek The good thing about those of us who crochet for charity is we can always use up less desirable wool/yarn for something needed!:crocheting

I'm looking forward to next weekend though I can't decide what I will be making yet.:think I am hoping for some kind of inspiration to hit me this week!:lol

I am chomping at the bit to get started too. These past two weekends have been SO busy and I have nothing planned for Memorial Day. Just the way I like it. Rent a few movies and veg. It probably hit 100 degrees today and we were helping with a garage sale to raise money for the animal shelter. No wonder I'm ready to sit and stitch.

I am looking forward to the weekend too! I am thinking I might make granny squares (for a change from my usual granny squares/blankets:lol) Since the idea of playing around with my scrap wool is appealing! Only a few more days until we start!:clap

I found a charity this weekend that I am planning to make some scarves for. It's called Handmade Especially for You and they give scarves to women who are in women's domestic violence shelters as a way of offering them hope and support. They gave out 6,500 scarves last year and are aiming for at least 10,000 this year. Their scarves are at least 60" long and no more than 5" wide. Lion Brand's weekly newsletter featured them in the last issue. I can give you the address if anyone is interested.

I found a charity this weekend that I am planning to make some scarves for. It's called Handmade Especially for You and they give scarves to women who are in women's domestic violence shelters as a way of offering them hope and support. They gave out 6,500 scarves last year and are aiming for at least 10,000 this year. Their scarves are at least 60" long and no more than 5" wide. Lion Brand's weekly newsletter featured them in the last issue. I can give you the address if anyone is interested.

It sounds like a great cause Linda but I am UK so it would cost me too much to post things to a US based charity. I might join you in making some scarves though as I spent yesterday figuring out how to make a fancy granny square! :clap(It is a circle within a square which is hard by my standards!:lol) I am so pleased I might make a few for a scarf. I don't want to make a whole blanket with fancy squares yet in case I get harrassed at following a pattern all the time... so scarves using fancy squares might be my project for the weekend! I will put one on the scanner later to show it off!

You would think I had re-invented the wheel I am that pleased with my fancy square:blush but those of you who are advanced with your crochet have probably forgotten what it is like to be stuck in the land of plain granny squares!!!:lol

Please send the address to me. It would be a great cause to work on other than just the preemie stuff I do. Thanks for the information! I'm always looking for new charities.

Thanks, Nicole. I found the location of their website. It's here: http://www.handmadeespecially.org/home.html

The address for sending donations to is:

Handmade Especially for You c/o Leslye Borden

30065 Grandpoint

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA 30275

Looking forward to seeing your scarf pattern, Lindsey. I get in a rut frequently using the same pattern over and over again. Then when I try something new, there's always a bit (sometimes a lot) of worry over whether the new design/stitches are going to turn out right or not. You're definitely not alone.

Thanks, Nicole. I found the location of their website. It's here: http://www.handmadeespecially.org/home.html

The address for sending donations to is:

Handmade Especially for You c/o Leslye Borden

30065 Grandpoint

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA 30275

Looking forward to seeing your scarf pattern, Lindsey. I get in a rut frequently using the same pattern over and over again. Then when I try something new, there's always a bit (sometimes a lot) of worry over whether the new design/stitches are going to turn out right or not. You're definitely not alone.

Thanks Linda! I was so excited about it when it worked out for me as reading patterns is not really my thing. Here is a scan of the squares one is changing colours and one is plain. I also got a great batch of yarn from the charity shop today for my weekend crochet!:clap

I have a bag I just finished (Mum started it and abandoned the project) to keep my scrap wool in (the idea being NOT to have more than the bag can hold hanging around me!!!:eek) and in the picture is also the wool I got today! See you all tomorrow!:cheer

The squares are very pretty, Lindsay. And good job on the tote and yarn. I went looking in my stash earlier today to see what I could use for the scarves and have come up with some stuff that I think will be very pretty. See all of you tomorrow. :hook

Archived