Our House [Archive 4]

Skysmom

I am an experienced crocheter. :crocheting I have recently taught myself Tunisian stitch and I have done 3 graph afghans. As much as I like Tunisian, I am going to take a break from it.

I found one for the irish chain, I would need to make it a bit smaller. I am figuring 15 saltines across and 25 saltines down. With a 2 saltine border. I am thinking it will be around 50 " x 72"??? :think Does that sound like a good size..? Also, what about Dark Blue(or dark Purple), Medium green and have the light color as tan??? All the ones I see online, the light color is more of a cream or white. But I have 3 kids. Light colors are risky.

I want to go shopping at Michael's tomorrow for the yarn while it is on sale. How much should I get?? OHH.. and with my "maybe" color ideas, which color should I make the 2 saltine border????:think

Sorry for asking soooo many questions.

You ladies are wonderful and have made me feel very welcome.

Michele:hug

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Michelle, I think Cara said she gets about 40 (give or take) saltines from one sk. of RHSS. The size you mentioned sounds good, IMO.

I think both the dark blue or purple would be wonderful, especially with the green. Brings to mind flowers. As for the "lighter" color, it's however you want it. I'm using Red Heart Soft in Chocolate, Toast and Honey. And the Honey really isn't all that cream/white in lightness.

I am an experienced crocheter. :crocheting I have recently taught myself Tunisian stitch and I have done 3 graph afghans. As much as I like Tunisian, I am going to take a break from it.

I found one for the irish chain, I would need to make it a bit smaller. I am figuring 15 saltines across and 25 saltines down. With a 2 saltine border. I am thinking it will be around 50 " x 72"??? :think Does that sound like a good size..? Also, what about Dark Blue(or dark Purple), Medium green and have the light color as tan??? All the ones I see online, the light color is more of a cream or white. But I have 3 kids. Light colors are risky.

I want to go shopping at Michael's tomorrow for the yarn while it is on sale. How much should I get?? OHH.. and with my "maybe" color ideas, which color should I make the 2 saltine border????:think

Sorry for asking soooo many questions.

You ladies are wonderful and have made me feel very welcome.

Michele:hug

First of all, :welcome!

We do have a grand time, here, and it is nice to have you. Cara's patterns are so much fun and beautiful, that it is hard to choose just one :yes I think your color choices for your IC sound good. Admittedly I am, what did Krystal call it, yesterday? Oh, yes, "color challenged." That's me, to a T :lol The gals here are a good source of suggestions. My IC is a navy blue, country blue and off-white. I think your tan sounds like a good idea. Were you able to find enough yarn on sale at Michael's, today? I use about 8 yards per saltine, and I use that number to figure the number of skeins to buy each time I go shopping.

Marian ~ Your Pinwheel looks lovely. No wonder your children are anxious for afghans of their own. You do really nice work. Keep the pictures coming!

Wendy ~ Glad to hear all of your test results are back, and that a controlled diet is working pretty well for you. It is almost summer for you, so does that mean time for you to get outside and move around in the fresh air, or will it be too warm to comfortably pursue exercise? Take care.

Mary ~ will there be more time to crochet, today? Hope you have a calm day and can spend a lot of time bonding with your hook :hook

Hi, to everyone else :hi. I was working on (ugly-in-my-opinion) hats for DH, and the girls to wear when they go down to play at the cabin this weekend. It's hunting season, and I just want everyone to have bright head-wear when they are moving around. The hats are almost finished, but I would rather work on the IC this weekend.

Dusti, sounds like a good trip planned and that is a good idea to wear bright caps. :yes:hook

Ooh, it's even better than I let on! DH is dropping me off with my mum for a visit while HE takes the girls and plays outside with them this weekend :D I get to crochet, drink coffee and enjoy indoor plumbing, while the rest of the family believes they are having fun in the wilderness. I think I am the lucky one in this situation.

Happy Thursday, everyone. :)

Michele, either combination of colors would be great! I hope you have fun yarn shopping. :yarn

Karen ~ 18 more squares are added. :hook

Dusti, have a wonderful time with your mom! It's so nice that your DH is taking the girls for the weekend. Happy crocheting. :yes

Tracy, of course I'll be there for moral support. ;) It's time for me to make an appointment, too. :think

Michelle, I think Cara said she gets about 40 (give or take) saltines from one sk. of RHSS. The size you mentioned sounds good, IMO.

I get about 48 from one 7 oz skein of RHSS. That doesn't work with other WW though for some reason. With ILTY I only get 40 so 40 is a good number to use :D

Hi, to everyone else :hi. I was working on (ugly-in-my-opinion) hats for DH, and the girls to wear when they go down to play at the cabin this weekend. It's hunting season, and I just want everyone to have bright head-wear when they are moving around. The hats are almost finished, but I would rather work on the IC this weekend.

Hooray for DH :woo Yes, bright orange or something caps so everyone can be seen :yes

Ooh, it's even better than I let on! DH is dropping me off with my mum for a visit while HE takes the girls and plays outside with them this weekend :D I get to crochet, drink coffee and enjoy indoor plumbing, while the rest of the family believes they are having fun in the wilderness. I think I am the lucky one in this situation.

I think you're the lucky one too :devil

Still working on these dolls. I need to quit taking special requests :lol Must admit though they are finally coming together. Hopefully by week after next there will be a new quilt in the works. I'm going through withdrawls :lol

Still working on these dolls. I need to quit taking special requests :lol Must admit though they are finally coming together. Hopefully by week after next there will be a new quilt in the works. I'm going through withdrawls :lol

I got a special request today too. And here I was all excited to finally be able to work on my IC :(. A co-worker requested one for a baby gift and I figured I'd do the 9 patch. Nope, she wants an RR. And then she couldn't decide on color. So I told her to go to the store and either buy what she wants or look and decide and I'd go get it.

Hooray for DH :woo Yes, bright orange or something caps so everyone can be seen :yes

You have got it! Caron Wintuk in Bright Orange is not my first choice, but I feel better if the little 'uns are wearing quite a bit of it during this season. Can you imagine orange 'hunting' hats with ruffles? They're cute (trust me). :lol:lol

Cara & Val ~ The folks making the special requests know great quality when they see it :manyheart I know, I know, it would be nice to work on another quilt or your Yummy-colored IC, but it is so nice of you to share your talents with so many others. Good luck stitching quickly, so that you can move on to other projects.

Don't you hate it when you type a long message then bump a key on the keyboard and your message just zaps away!!!!

Let's try again.

Since I took vacation days today and tomorrow, and my husband was off work, I told him I was going to do some running and he could go if he would like to.. AND HE WENT.. HAHHAAAA POOR GUY.. I ended up having to run to 2 Michaels and a WalMart. I was nice and didn't drag him to

Hobby Lobby.

So, now I have my yarn, but I am not sure if I need to use a "G" hook or a "H" hook for my Irish Chain Blanket. Also, I would like a hook with a "handle" so my hands don't get so sore but the last one I got, the hook part wasn't deep enough so the yarn wouldn't catch. Does anyone else have this problem? :hookMaybe I can use a pencil grip???? Has anyone else done this?

and Should I do a g or H hook??:think

I can't wait to get started. (but I am trying to make myself finish other projects first)..:crocheting

Thanks, Michele

I've done both depending on the weight of my yarn.. normally I use an H for my saltines with RHSS and they end up about 2 1/2"

been doing alot of scrap saltines... I had a FGM send me a small box with some odds and ends saltines and small balls of yarn so I have been working it up into Saltines..

So, now I have my yarn, but I am not sure if I need to use a "G" hook or a "H" hook for my Irish Chain Blanket. Also, I would like a hook with a "handle" so my hands don't get so sore but the last one I got, the hook part wasn't deep enough so the yarn wouldn't catch. Does anyone else have this problem? :hookMaybe I can use a pencil grip???? Has anyone else done this?

I can't wait to get started. (but I am trying to make myself finish other projects first)..:crocheting

Thanks, Michele

Hook size is usually up to you - do a square and see the size it comes to. If you crochet tightly you would likely need the next size up.

What kind/brand of hook did you get? Some hooks aren't made too well.

I usually crochet with an overhand grip on the hook, but alternate with the pencil grip to either give my hand a rest or because of what I'm making ( like thread work, where I need more control over the hook).

I'm using an H for my IC and using red heart soft. I like the smaller holes for this one right now. As for a handle, I know some people have used modeling clay to form one that's exact to their grip.

Oh, I think I'm going to join the saltine smackdown :D

For the Pink Ribbon I had a total of 644 saltines. I don't recall how many were bi-colored, and I do know it was more than 60. So let's say an even 60 for bi's. That leaves 584 solids.

On my IC so far I have 15 solids. :clap

Dusti ~ Oh, little girls orange hunting hats with ruffles sound so cute!

Michele, congratulations on getting your yarn. :yarn I use an H hook for almost everything, but haven't tried any with the special "handles" yet. :hook

Val ~ another RR...you'll be able to do those in your sleep. ;)

I'm reporting 39 solid squares. I think there are almost enough now for the next three blocks (of 25). :cheer

Oh, I think I'm going to join the saltine smackdown :D

For the Pink Ribbon I had a total of 644 saltines. I don't recall how many were bi-colored, and I do know it was more than 60. So let's say an even 60 for bi's. That leaves 584 solids.

On my IC so far I have 15 solids. :clap

Yay! I'll add your name and starting numbers of 599 solids and 60 bi-colors. :hook

You have got it! Caron Wintuk in Bright Orange is not my first choice, but I feel better if the little 'uns are wearing quite a bit of it during this season. Can you imagine orange 'hunting' hats with ruffles? They're cute (trust me). :lol:lol

Oh we will definitely need photos! :yes

Don't you hate it when you type a long message then bump a key on the keyboard and your message just zaps away!!!!

Let's try again.

Since I took vacation days today and tomorrow, and my husband was off work, I told him I was going to do some running and he could go if he would like to.. AND HE WENT.. HAHHAAAA POOR GUY.. I ended up having to run to 2 Michaels and a WalMart. I was nice and didn't drag him to

Hobby Lobby.

Thanks, Michele

Clover Soft Touch hooks. It's the only thing I use. I have rheumatoid arthritis and couldn't even crochet a stitch for almost 4 years. I was miserable! Then I found the 'Ville and someone recommended them and I'm back :hook

Mary another 11 solids please and thank you!

I've got my first section started. I graphed it out to try and figure what size blocks I could do and I can't do blocks. So I decided since I'm doing 5 deep for the light color, my "blocks" will be the light colors with the Toast surrounding it. And then when I'm ready to put it all together, the Chocolate will be my joining. :lol

8 bi-colors and 20 solids for me.

I have the best boyfriend ever....he gave me a gift card for my b-day yesterday and guess where it's for???? That's right,:clap Hobby Lobby!!!! Now I get to go shopping for yarn!! Whooo Hoooo!!!

Archived