Mounting/Framing thread crochet

Mommy2Max

Question

I made a filet crochet doily with my last name crocheted into it and my husband wants to frame it and hang it on a wall. I've never done anything like that before, so I'm not sure where to start. Also, I'm on a budget and don't have a ton of money to throw at a framing project, which is why I'm asking for help here.

It's about a foot long and about 6-7" high.

I took it to Hobby Lobby and they, of course, tried to "up-sell" me and quoted me an outrageous price to get it done "correctly." Their version of doing it "correctly" is to poke holes in an acid-free mat (preferably the more expensive suede, of course, so the color doesn't bleed) and sew the doily to the mat with clear fishing line. Which THEY can do for me, for an even higher price.

In addition to the more expensive mat, expensive sewing process, etc., I also apparently need to get UV protected glass so that any light hitting the doily/mat won't fade it over time.

The framing department sales guy was actually quite good (i.e. persuasive) at his job. He appealed to my crocheting pride and told me "Don't you want to do this the right way so that your grandchildren will have it for years into the future??????" PS- I'm 29, and don't even have any kids, so grandchildren aren't exactly a consideration at this point.

Long story short- I'm basically looking for a way to mount this thing to a mat and frame it so that it lasts, looks pretty, won't damage the doily, and won't cost me the approx. $75 that this project will cost if I hand it over to HL for their "framing expertise." :think

Can I mount it to a mat with rubber cement? Double-sided tape? Is the sewing method really the best way to mount it? Also, will the color of a mat bleed into my thread over time? This thing will not be in direct sunlight at any time, so do I really need anti-UV glass?

I'd appreciate any help from someone who's done this before! If I have to bite the bullet and what HL is telling me really is the "correct" way, then I might spend the money, but I KNOW the talented ladies on here will have a better method.

Thanks!

6 answers to this question

Don't glue or tape it, it will discolor. I don't see why you couldn't sew it to the backing paper yourself. They sell transparent thread in the fabric department.

I'm pretty sure you can get acid free paper at Michaels. Or, you could also get some fabric and use it over the backing cardboard, too.

I've heard you are supposed to put a doily into a shadow-type frame for moisture reasons, also you don't want to squish the thread. I would think you could cut narrow strips of cardboard to put between the glass (hidden by the frame edges) and the doily-attached-to-acid free-paper to create a little air space.

Hmmm...... You can use any frame but make sure it's larger than 6" x12". For example, if you buy a frame it should be say, 12" x 15". A place like Walmarts carries frames that don't cost a lot. Also, try to pick a frame that's not too heavy. Heavy frames are no fun to hang. Then you go to a store that has scrapbooking such as Michaels and buy a thicker piece of acid free paper for scrapbooking. You should buy a piece of this that is the same size as your frame and cut the inside out, measuring 6" x 12" from the center of your paper. The opening should be the same size as your doily. If your doily has petals, or thicker items to it, then it will never sandwich into a frame properly. You would need to use a shadow box type frame which Michaels does sell, but to be honest, I don't think they're that cheap.

Once your mat is cut to the dimension of your doily, I would tack the doily to the mat carefully along all four corners and possibly in the centers. Once the doily is closed up in the frame, it should stay nicely. It may seem like a lot of work but I think it would cost you half of what you would pay otherwise.

I do cross stitch and have it professionally framed and it's not cheap if you want it done right to last. Never use plain tape, rubber cement or stuff and use acid free stuff and yes the UV glass is a good idea. It all comes down too if you want it to last and still look nice for years to come or if you want it to deteriorate. I personally don't use the craft stores for framing my stuff because even with a coupon they are still more expensive than the needle work shop. See if you have a good cross stitch/needle work shop in your area that does framing. We had a great cross stitch shop here that did wonderfull framing reasonable and they retired but luckily now my friend has a framing business out of her home so does stuff for me at cost. Mary

Thanks everybody for the great suggestions! I am going to block my piece tonight and try to find some heavy scrapbooking paper I can use for a mat.

My hubby is an engineer and a meticulous detail person, so I'm going to get him to help me sew the doily to the mat once I'm done blocking. Going to the craft store on my way home tonight for a mat and some transparent thread.

You guys make everything sound so easy! I'll be sure to post pictures when I'm all finished. Thank you again!

I just skimmed, so I may have missed it, but just in case nobody told you to be sure to use a matte around the edges, I wanted to be sure to say that.

If you rest the glass on the piece it's in danger of mildewing. I live in a very humid climate and if you do too, you really need to consider this. Nobody here "floats" doilies between two panes of glass, or presses the doily with glass against a matte. You have to allow for air flow between the thread and the glass.

Well, I'm a little late in replying to this post, but here is my opinion. I used to work at Michaels as their frame shop manager and I can tell you that the prices of the materials are EXTREMELY jacked up, but the advice you got from the HL sales guy is correct. If you want this piece to last for years then it is best to frame it with space between the glass and the doily. It is also best to use UV glass. If you purchase a frame with some depth to it you can use hot glue in the corners and a dab of hot glue on each side to hold the glass to the front of the frame. You will then want to cut some strips of matboard or something of the like to glue to the inside edges of the frame. These pieces will separate the glass from the board you are going to sew your doily onto. Keep in mind that these pieces will be seen from the front of the frame, so you want to make sure they are the right color to blend into the color of the frame. There is a lot of time invested in framing something like this, which is why it is so expensive. Good luck and if you need any help just send me a message. I'll be glad to help if I can.

I always used nylon fishing line to sew all my shadowbox items in and I used an awl (sp?) to poke holes in the matboard to sew through. Of course you have to hide the holes strategically behind the doily.

Archived