In the rough

I'll soon be finishing up a spiderman afghan for my dear grandnephew (4yrs) who is in need of some superhero TLC right now. The little sport has autism and may have an issue with it's texture so I'm wondering if anyone has a treatment tip on softening a ghan made from Red Heart Super Saver.

I've only ever used RH SS for small projects like slippers that wear well with the yarn's good body, but working with it on this larger project I actually have an abrasion where the yarn slides over my finger! :tup

Hi Jeanne-

I wash all finished projects on gentle in the washer then use a good fabric softener and throw it in the dryer until almost dry, block it and finish it by air drying it. If it is a gift, I always use unscented fabric softener.

You might try adding a large amount of liquid fabric softener to the wash water, and letting it soak, then washing as usual.

I agree with you that it's pretty abrasive. haven't made a big enough project to actually wound myself:lol but I know it's good for nice scratchy back scrubber.

Thank you Renni, Kathy and LeeAnn! Fabric softener, of course, that makes sense! -It never dawned on me to use it as a pre-soak.

My superheros. :ty

I soak mine in Downy fabric softener, it's the best, IMHO>

I've heard of using cheap hair conditioner for a soak, but have never tried it. The Downy soak and then a spin in the dryer, usually softens it well.

For those that can't use scented laundry detergents--you can use Purex Free and Clear to wash it in and then Bounce has scent-free dryer sheets. (I'm very allergic to fragrances and this is what I've finally found to use). Haven't seen any liquid scent free fabric softners yet.

I don't know if a scent-free Downey exists, but as a mom of a kid on the sprectrum, sometimes scents can be a problem too. Shoot for unscented if you can find it!

Colleen

Thank you everyone! I so appreciate all of your input on how to soften a scratchy afghan. I ended up washing the Spidyghan in a scent free/dye free laundry soap w/ a bit of creme rinse (I know, defeated my 'free' approach) and it came out wonderfully soft with only a small trace of scent. The little guy is going to love it. Thank you again! :hug

Archived