Help - 200 crochet blocks for blankets throws and afghans

ive been trying to get my gauge right for this book and i thought i had it. i first attempted a square, done in rows which was a DC worked in the back loop to form ridges. it turned out the 6 inches it was supposed to with th hook i was using so i was happy. today i did a second square, again worked in rows but this time it was sc. it turned out 6.5 x 7 inches :(

admittedly theres been a gap between when i did each of these

is it possible that now ive been crocheting for a while that my natural tension has changed from before? that i was working tight as i was learning and now im more confortable with crochet that im more relaxed?

as far as i know ive used the same weight of yarn each time but i dont have the labels anymore, they look the same.

i figure i need to go down to a smaller hokk.

any thoughts guys?

ty

It could be your tension but more than likely it is just the squares themselves. Whenever you are doing different patterns like that you make have to go up or down a hook size to get the same measurements. It's usally easier to even things out with the border tho.

I think it's very likely that your tension has changed. (when I learned to knit a couple years ago, my tension was quite tight. Working on a large project recently, it dawned on me that my tension is much looser now.)

also, there are slight variations in batches of yarn, even the exact same brand can be slightly thicker/thinner in different colors.

using a smaller hook is something to try. and for something simple like an sc block,, just leave off a few stitches and rows to get it the size you want.

some of the blocks in the book are in rows some in rounds. the first square i did that worked was in dc in rowss, the second that didnt was in sc in rows.

i may go back to the first block with the same hook as before and see if its bigger that my 1st attempt and go from there.

ty guys :)

correction both were in sc :)

right, im 10 rows in so far and its 6.5 inches wide, which looks consistent with last nights efforts. im going to finish the pattern and see if it ends up too long as well.

one thing im a bit confused on is the pattern tells you to repeat row 1 32 times, so do i do row 1 a total of 32 or 33 times?

also when changing hook size should i jump to 3mm or a 3.5 mm hook as ive been using a 4mm so far?

ty for the help, im planning on making a throw for my dd from this book so i need to get it right now

right, im 10 rows in so far and its 6.5 inches wide, which looks consistent with last nights efforts. im going to finish the pattern and see if it ends up too long as well.

one thing im a bit confused on is the pattern tells you to repeat row 1 32 times, so do i do row 1 a total of 32 or 33 times?

also when changing hook size should i jump to 3mm or a 3.5 mm hook as ive been using a 4mm so far?

ty for the help, im planning on making a throw for my dd from this book so i need to get it right now

My tension tend to vary with my mood :lol

Row 1 should be done 33 times.

As for hook changing I would use the same size change as the pattern.

If the pattern changes from 3 to 2,5 you should change from 4 to 3,5.

Hope this helps

/Tina

My tension tend to vary with my mood :lol

Row 1 should be done 33 times.

As for hook changing I would use the same size change as the pattern.

If the pattern changes from 3 to 2,5 you should change from 4 to 3,5.

Hope this helps

/Tina

thanks for the row count :)

i dont understand what you mean about the hook size though. the whole book is done in dk yarn and a 4mm hook, which is what ive been using. the idea is that all the blocks finish to 6 inches, some are worked in rounds some in rows and some start in one corner kind of like rounds, there are some that are in rows but go corner to corner.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crochet-Blocks-Blankets-Throws-Afghans/dp/0715321412/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266836869&sr=8-1

my 2nd attempt at the block i made a while back measures the same as the one last night, 6.5 by 7 inches. so i need to go buy some new hooks as i dont have any smaller ones.

at least i can use these blocks to practice my whipstitch. i want to make a 2 strand Lumberjack Flannel Afghan which ive seen on here and im nervous about sewing the rows together.

thanks for the reply

I wonder if they use a bunch of different testers all with different gauges to test the squares in various books.

I am working on an afghan from the book "63 More Easy to Crochet Pattern Squares" and I made twelve squares, one after another, one week, and only a few of them came out to the same size using the same hook and yarn. I don't believe that my gauge changed that significantly in a few days time. I think it is more likely that different people crocheted the test squares and that's why there is such a variation.

:( i hope it isnt that. maybe i should stick to things that dont need to turn out the same size. am going out later in the week to buy a couple of hooks smaller and retry it. also im going to try her version of a plain granny and see what size it comes up

have just completed the plain granny from the book, it too is bigger than its supposed to be. def going shopping for some new hook sizes, wil try the same patterns out later in the week again and see if that helps.

If you want, you can just use your 6.5 x 7 blocks to make a throw---no one but you will know that the pattern called for 6x6. Gauge is important for some things, like garments, but it isn't crucial for things like throws, scarves, placemats.....

If you want, you can just use your 6.5 x 7 blocks to make a throw---no one but you will know that the pattern called for 6x6. Gauge is important for some things, like garments, but it isn't crucial for things like throws, scarves, placemats.....

i know i know but its bothering me. am a bit of a perfectionist i suppose, i want it to work the way its supposed to.:( especially as i know it did work for me at one point

Well, tinkering with your gauge on the blocks is good practice for future projects where gauge is crucial:hook

besides changing hook, you can also change how you hold the yarn, to tighten or loosen it as it flows through your hand. when I want a tighter tension, I loop the yarn around my little finger. when I want to loosen it, I can drop that loop and just let it lie over my finger.

Archived