Guess what i was giving off freecycle!

I posted a few days ago on freecycle looking for Crochet books and mags someone didnt need or want anyore. and I was responded to by a lady who lives up the road, she gave me

143 OLD mags,, and I mean OLD! (in my mind) some are from 1973/ 1976/1980's and 90's most are called

"the work basket"

Annie's pattern club

news knitted and crochet

coats and clark faghans (knit and crochet)

coats and clark crochet elegance

something called "american thread'

and im sure there are other titles I have yet to realy go thru the bag. I just looked at the top few.

I cant waite to look thru all of them,

I'm going to be sure to Cherish these..

where would one get some plastic covering for these to keep them in the state they are in? 90% of them are in great condition. and i'd like to keep it that way but still be able to look at them and do patterns out of them.. althou I may just hook my scanner up to hubby's pc and scan the projects i want as i do them so I don't have to keep manhandling the books

unfortunaly the Oldest on I saw so far is not in the best shape.. the cover is ripped and not attached to the rest of the book so that is one i realy want to cover

I will get pics later i gotta go mke lunch for the Kiddies

here are some pics.... of the books! the one pic with the 3 books one of them is from 1974

Im haveing fun looking thru these, looking at all the old patterns,

She just email me back asking if i found them ok as she had them on the porch waiting and she had to go out.. she also said if she comes across anymore she'll let me know and give them to me... these are books she got at a flea market a while back.. She said she bought several huge boxs and she went thru them and gave me all her Doubles,

:D

Edit:

I did not find a date of the far left book (in the group of 3) so i looked it up, and if I found it rite. this book is from 1960

It's News Knitted and crochet Star book no 212,

So far if it's rite that is the oldest one so far!... I think i REALY need to get some protective sleeves!

I'm loving this! and that dress on the cover... I LOVE IT.. I don't care if it's out of date! it's so pretty

post-31502-135897505178_thumb.jpg

post-31502-135897505179_thumb.jpg

post-31502-135897505181_thumb.jpg

post-31502-135897505182_thumb.jpg

post-31502-135897505184_thumb.jpg

post-31502-135897505185_thumb.jpg

post-31502-135897505186_thumb.jpg

Oh wow, what a great gift! You can always ask your local library what they might use, I know some libraries put covers on their magazines and such. I love the Annies Pattern Club ones, some of the patterns are wonderful!

You got a great find. I seem to like the older crochet magazines and booklets better than the new. LOL.

Annie's and the Coats N Clark are good books. Alot of the older Coats N Clarks have a lot of good afghan patterns in them.

do you know how much it hurts for you to call a 1974 book OLD??? lolol

good free find!

LOL! Im sorry but I was born in 76 and I consider myself "OLD" lol

hubby was born in 70 so i call him my "old" man allthe time LOL

Those are great!

I love finding old crochet books. I'm thinking the comic book ones might work, they might even be acid free, which is what you would want. Maybe check out scrapbooking supplies, those are almost always acid free, they might have page protectors that you could use, and if you wanted even buy a binder to store all these in. Or they might have something like an organizer for paper or photos or stickers or something that might fit. The organizer might be less expensive too. {note: I haven't done this, but you gave me the idea. There's a scrapbooking store by me or Micheals and I'm going to check it out. I have an old Work Basket I found at a thrift store, it's from 1958 and there were 2 other paper ones like that that are very fragile.}

yea i was puttting them in order by year nd month,, and The bigger books i finaly got to the oldest is now 1952, that one is dfintly getting some sort of protection,

but I for now have them all neatly piled in a big box and not in the paper sacks!

You were truly blessed when that neighbor gave you those books. I love the Annie's Attic Pattern Club and Annie's Attic Crochet Newsletter ones. I have quite a collection of both. My oldest sister and I used to sit and look at them whenever we got a new one in the mail. She and our mother taught me how to crochet. They are both gone now but I have many happy memories when I look at those books. By the way even the 1952 crochet magazine is not old. I was born in 1951 and I am not old. Okay I will be 59 in June. Enjoy them. I really like the patterns from the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s better than most of today's patterns.

That's awesome! Congrats on the fabulous find!

My grandpa found some crochet magazines that my great grandma had when she was alive. The years are 1937, 1951, 1954, 1945 and 1952.

The best part is that I found a piece of scrap paper in one of them with corrected knitting instructions on it... tucked in the pages of a pattern for adding lace on lingerie. I had to laugh.

You were truly blessed when that neighbor gave you those books. I love the Annie's Attic Pattern Club and Annie's Attic Crochet Newsletter ones. I have quite a collection of both. My oldest sister and I used to sit and look at them whenever we got a new one in the mail. She and our mother taught me how to crochet. They are both gone now but I have many happy memories when I look at those books. By the way even the 1952 crochet magazine is not old. I was born in 1951 and I am not old. Okay I will be 59 in June. Enjoy them. I really like the patterns from the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s better than most of today's patterns.

yea some of the stuff in these books are simply Georgous, there is a dress on the front cover of one I told hubby "OMG I CAN SOO ROCK THAT DRESS" but instread of pink I want blue,

ok ;59 and '60 are old lol

:rofl If that's old then what am I?? The answer is - older!

I remember a couple of those books. My great aunt had them. Wish I did now. I love some of the "old" patterns. A friend of mine helped someone she knew clean out her parents house. They found several crochet magazines from the 30's & 40's (I'm not this old) so she asked if she could have them for me. That reminds me - there was a pattern for a dusting mitt in one of them. Might be a good idea to make a few.

Archived