Knitted Afghans

Katrala

I'm a knitter who is learning to crochet (and enjoying it very much - even more now with all the wonderful help that people have offered here!)

I've only been knitting for about a year and a half and I've found that while I really enjoy big projects, I don't have the time (or attention span) to devote a few weeks to getting them done all at once. What I end up doing is starting a project, writing down where I end, and then picking it up a few months later - rinse and repeat.

My two biggest projects for knitting have been two afghans. The second (the green slip stitch one) took me the longest. I started on it last summer and finished just before Christmas, working only a few rows every week.

post-35236-135897495912_thumb.jpg

post-35236-135897495917_thumb.jpg

I applaud your effort and congratulate you on finishing your mission. :cheer

I tried ONCE to knit an afghan, it was just too darn heavy and took WAY too long so I gave up. :hook

Both are wonderful, TFS-

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Both of your afghans are just gorgeous! I've been doing VERY basic knitting for several yrs now. I just started my 1st knitted cardigan. Wish me luck. I've realized lately that I really do know how to knit, it's just mostly that I'm afraid of correcting mistakes. I've decided to take a class. I know, novel idea....

I applaud your stick-to-it-ness!

They are both fabulous. I cant knit at all - just found it too slow and tedious - so I can appreciate just how much time went into such gorgeous afghans

• 3 months later...

They are amazing! I just started a knitted afghan:crocheting - my first actually...I am using EXTRA BULKY yarn:D. So far it is coming along nicely...what type of needles do you use when working on such a large project? I squeezed as many stitches as I could onto my needles, but wished I could have fit more...do they make extra long needles?

They are amazing! I just started a knitted afghan:crocheting - my first actually...I am using EXTRA BULKY yarn:D. So far it is coming along nicely...what type of needles do you use when working on such a large project? I squeezed as many stitches as I could onto my needles, but wished I could have fit more...do they make extra long needles?

For really big things like afghans that I make as a whole, I use circular needles. The only difference is that don't join the rounds, of course, you just turn and keep going after every row.

http://www.stitchdiva.com/images/tutorials/knit/circulars1.jpg

Archived