Annie's Lace Throw

yarnhookncandle

Question

I bought the "Annie's Lace Throw" kit from Mary Maxim and was wondering if anyone else has purchased the kit and was having problems with the pattern?

I think there might be errors somewhere around row 15 but I'm not sure. I did call Mary Maxim customer service and the lady was very nice and said no one else has called about it and she didn't think there were corrections to be made but she is going over it again and will let me know, it is a new kit so maybe there hasn't been enough time for someone else to notice. Thought I would take a chance and ask here also. I'm sorry I don't know how to post a link but it is on page 19 of their Spring 2010 catalog.

• Answers 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the scoop on Row 15: "*(dc in next ch-1 space), dc in each of next 4 dc,)" is not quite correct. After the dc in ch-1 space, you need to skip the next 2 dc, and then dc in the next 4 dc. You can see that to maintain the pattern, the 2 dcs on each side of the chain 1 space need to be skipped.

Thanks for figuring this out! I am saving this for when I try mine. I wasn't crazy about the yarn color either. I ordered it in the color it showed and instead of looking like a soft blue it is more like royal blue!

Oh no! :eek I just ordered that kit but haven't received it yet. Can you let me know if you hear anymore from them?

I will, she is suppose to call me back after she looks at the actual afghan they have and goes over it row by row along with the written pattern. She did tell me if there are corrections to the pattern they will send a copy of the newly corrected pattern to everyone who bought the kit.

Let me see if I can explain the problem I'm finding...it is where you join rounds and I know the ch 3 counts as first double crochet but when I get to row 15 the double crochet counts are off compared to the rest of the petal tips (I call it petals) it comes out lopsided, the joining round doesn't match the other petals. I think the problem comes in where you have to start double crocheting two stitches together and yet you have that chain 3. That's the best way I can think to describe it. I frogged it four times and tried to figure it out but I couldn't. She didn't seem to think there was a mistake but I don't know, I still think there is.

It's a beautiful afghan isn't it? I really want to finish it.

I spoke with the lady from Mary Maxim this morning. She told me the display afghan they have is hanging up on a wall in the store and she didn't want to get a ladder and take it down unless she had to but from looking at it the best she could tell she saw no errors. She said she charted it out with the directions and could not find any errors. I asked her again if the chain 3 at the start of every row counted as first double crochet and she said yes. So I must be doing something wrong, I will try again. If any of you who bought the kit have started it will you please post if you find a problem? I'm starting to think I'm crazy or there is something in the directions I'm not comprehending.

When I look at the photo of the finished afghan that came with the kit it looks fine, I don't see anything wrong.

Well hopefully when the other poster get's her kit she can tell if it's wrong or not. Just because a display piece or the finished photos looks right does not mean there was not a misprint when printing it. I searched but had no luck finding any info on the designer, that would really be a big help if you could. Mary

I would love to help you out. I am past row 15 and remember having some difficulty but don't remember exactly where, but it seemed that it had something to do with the pattern possibly saying single crochet when it should be double or something like that. Unfortunately I can't look it up as I seemed to misplace page 2 & 3 of the instructions. I was just sitting down to crochet and noticed it missing.

I would love to help you out. I am past row 15 and remember having some difficulty but don't remember exactly where, but it seemed that it had something to do with the pattern possibly saying single crochet when it should be double or something like that. Unfortunately I can't look it up as I seemed to misplace page 2 & 3 of the instructions. I was just sitting down to crochet and noticed it missing.

Maybe together we will all figure out if something is wrong and where. I haven't had a chance to get back to mine and try again. Since it has gotten so cold I have been swamped with hat and scarf orders. I really want to get going on some new afghans!

My kit came today -- very disappointed in the yarn. I chose amythyst; and on my monitor, it was a gorgeous shade. Actually, it's a very dull, muddy shade. So I guess I've paid $30 plus for the pattern. Haven't had a chance to check out the problem area yet. Hope to get to that in the next day or two.

Here's the scoop on Row 15: "*(dc in next ch-1 space), dc in each of next 4 dc,)" is not quite correct. After the dc in ch-1 space, you need to skip the next 2 dc, and then dc in the next 4 dc. You can see that to maintain the pattern, the 2 dcs on each side of the chain 1 space need to be skipped.

I was told be someone who is working on this afghan that there are some dc's you should skip in round 15 but she didn't say how many, otherwise she said you'll be frogging. I've not made this yet either so i'm waiting to find out what she says. the pattern also doesn't state total stitches at the end of each round which doesn't help either.

In post #13 here it has the corrections. That is what I followed and it worked.

My kit came today -- very disappointed in the yarn. I chose amythyst; and on my monitor, it was a gorgeous shade. Actually, it's a very dull, muddy shade. So I guess I've paid $30 plus for the pattern. Haven't had a chance to check out the problem area yet. Hope to get to that in the next day or two.

I was afraid of this so I ordered it in white. I figured I couldn't go wrong with white.

Thank you so much, I'm going to give this a try. I have to do a few cradle doll purses and then I'm giving this a go again.

Okay, I am back working on this afghan again.

I checked the notes I had jotted down and I have the same correction for row 15 as you. It is correct.

Did row 16 with no problem.

Row 17 and row 18 I believe there may be another problem.

Row 17 says to: Ch 3, dc in next dc, dc2tog, *[ch 3, sc in next ch-3 sp] 7 times, ch 3, [dc2tog] 4 times; rep from* around, ending last rep with (dc2t0g) twice, join.

I think you have to begin by doing the ch 3 and next dc together or you are going to end up with 5 stitches in that particular petal compared to four stitches in all the following petals of that row. When you start Row 18 it says to: Ch 3, dc in next st, moves on to the rest and ends with dc2tog, join. You can see there should only be 4 stitches in the start of row 17 and the same mistake is made at the start of row 18, you have to do the ch and dc together to begin for it to come out right. Does this sound correct? I don't want to give anyone the wrong corrections. I've never done a ch 3 and dc together but I guess you can.

I'm going to vent here for a minute....I am really aggravated with the directions on this pattern and especially since I have called at least two times and been told nothing is wrong. People pay good money for these kits and you would think the company would proofread the patterns a little better than they do. This kit is still being sold with the wrong directions.

Maybe we should start a thread for different kit corrections, seems to be a frequent problem.

I'm going to vent here for a minute....I am really aggravated with the directions on this pattern and especially since I have called at least two times and been told nothing is wrong. People pay good money for these kits and you would think the company would proofread the patterns a little better than they do. This kit is still being sold with the wrong directions.

Maybe we should start a thread for different kit corrections, seems to be a frequent problem.

I hear you, how come it was not caught when the pattern was tested or don't they test patterns before putting them out. Mary

I finally started this afghan last night! :cheer I worked thru row 16 with no problems. Didn't have a problem with row 15 at all. :think

If you follow the instructions as written on row 15 you didn't notice the double crochet's on the joining petal don't match the other petals pattern wise? I am now past doing the corners and almost finished with the three rows of cluster stitches, next will be the end panels. I did have a problem with row 19 but can't remember exactly, something about a sc in the next ch4 space. It's slow going for me because I've had to start and stop to do other things. Despite the problems I've found I am enjoying working on this afghan. Can't wait to finish it and see how it looks!

If you follow the instructions as written on row 15 you didn't notice the double crochet's on the joining petal don't match the other petals pattern wise? I am now past doing the corners and almost finished with the three rows of cluster stitches, next will be the end panels. I did have a problem with row 19 but can't remember exactly, something about a sc in the next ch4 space. It's slow going for me because I've had to start and stop to do other things. Despite the problems I've found I am enjoying working on this afghan. Can't wait to finish it and see how it looks!

Ok so now I'm doubting myself! :) I'll have to look at it when I get home today but I really thought everything looked right. I'm glad I didn't get very much further in case I do have to frog it out!

I've been wanting the pattern but not the yarn. It seems the only way to get the pattern is to purchase the kit. I already have too much yarn. I have cotton that comes on the cone I think this pattern would be perfect for. SO if anyone wants to sell me the pattern(flaws & all) once they are done with their kit, please contact me. I'm pretty good at figuring things out if there is a clear enough photo. The one on the front of Mary Maxim catalog is really clear.

Archived