help with hook set

Alucard

So i am new to crocheting and am looking for a good hook set to start off with. I only have one hook so far that i got to do my first project. I was looking at this set.

http://www.yarnmarket.com/yarn/Crochet_Hooks-Denise_Interchangeable_Crochet_Hook_Kit-6296.html

Does that seem like a good price? or would it be better to just get the hooks individually? Also, what are the "end buttons" and "extenders" good for?

:thinkIn my humble opinion, you only need to purchase hooks as and when you need them.

:thinkIt seems excessive to pay so much for a set of hooks, many of which you may never use.:think

I have more than one hook of the same size though so I can have more than one thing on the go at the same time with the correct hook always on hand.

Most of my hooks are different brands, as long as they are the correct sizing I dont mind because you only use one at a time so no-one will know you do not have a matching set.

The main thing is to enjoy yourself.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

I agree with both- what if you don't like those hooks? You may find that you prefer one type hook over another- Me, I am a Bates gal! I love my bamboo handle Susan Bates hooks- Some others prefer Boyle. Some like plastic, others metal or wood. I hope you enjoy your:crocheting

I agree with both- what if you don't like those hooks? You may find that you prefer one type hook over another- Me, I am a Bates gal! I love my bamboo handle Susan Bates hooks- Some others prefer Boyle. Some like plastic, others metal or wood. I hope you enjoy your:crocheting

I agree with imanurse55 everyone has different preferances. I am a Susan Bates Silverlume gal myself & they are under $2 each

Good luck in your quest for your favorite hooks :hook

One thing that you could do is to try out different kinds of hooks. I know Hobby Lobby puts their hooks and other crochet and knitting things on sale for 40% off every few months. You may pick up a variety and see what the best hook style for you is. It could be Bates (inline) or Boye style, but you have to see what is best for you and your own crocheting style. Also, JoAnn's, Michael's and Hobby Lobby put coupons out for 40% off of one item. You may Pick up a hook of each type and see what really works for you. Everyone has a preference when it comes to one style over the other, also with the type of material that they are made of also. Wood, plastic, aluminum, bamboo, aluminum hooks with bamboo handles, etc. It's best just to try out a few and see what you really like. Then you can later purchase a set if you want to. Some of us just purchase the size hook we need when working on a particular project.

I just picked up some smaller size hooks (c,d,e, and f) for working on baby outfits. I plan on making a Christening outfit and some other things for the county fair.

My favorite kind is the new bamboo handled aluminum ones from Susan Bates.

:manyheart

For myself, a good deal of the enjoyment of crochet comes from seeing and feeling a lot of hook types and brands.

For a beginner, I'd ask here if anyone has used these hooks, do they hold up well, the normal type of consumer questions.

People from the US tend to lump their hooks into Bates and Boyle because for many years, those were the 2 brands readily available. You might buy this set (which seem to be Boyle) and discover you love the Bates inline.

This set seems to be plastic (maybe only the hook ups are plastic). I tried plastic once and broke the hooks because of how I crochet.

If you eBay at all, you should be able to get a full new set of Boyle hooks for about $15. Or you might bid on a lot of 50 old hooks and discover that for $5, you now own a stash of hooks.

Get a couple different hooks and see which you like best before you settle on a set.

I gave my set of Boye to my DD. They seem easier to learn on.

I have a set of Bates for myself.

Then I got a set of Bates Bamboo which is slightly smaller and has a different shaped head.

Some people love the Silvalume while other people complain that they squeak.

Other people love the Clover Soft hook but they have a Boye head on them.

You're most used sizes will be G,H I, and J.

How can I forget that a few people have entire sets of Jimbo hooks. He's a hook maker that hangs out here at the 'ville. He makes large handled hooks that are wonderful - I have a few myself in custom sizes (and my most special one in rosewood)

Now they have solid bamboo hooks (which I didn't care for at all) but others love them.

When I bought my last 'set' of bamboo handled Bates hooks it didn't come in a set. I just waited till they were on sale and purchased all of them with doubles in I and J.

Like most of the others I suggest waiting and trying out different ones before you invest in a set.

Archived