Mailing a crochet dishcloth????

I was going to mail out crochet dishcloths to all the family members. Got them completed and now wondering on the postage.

Can I use a regular long white envelope??? I folded one up and put it in the envelope......looks pretty puffy and wondering will the post office even accept this.

Any idea on the postage cost within the U.S.

Shaking my head wondering if this was a good idea or not!!!!

Any thoughts on this is appreciated.

Peggy Pennie

Just to be sure, do you have any brown craft paper, or a brown paper bag? That would make it sturdier for sure. Or to know for sure, you could call the post office and ask. Postage, well probably 2 stamps? Sorry, never tried to do this, but I like the idea!

I was told that anything thicker than 1/4" has to be brought in and weighed, and hand stamped. The weight of a washcloth would be too heavy for 1 stamp for sure because that covers up to 1 oz.

I've never mailed in anything thinner than the brown envelopes, and if it is not a bubble mailer, I put a plastic bag around my work.

I once received a box that had the entire bottom soggy with oil from something that apparently broke in someone else's box during transport. Lots of oil soaked up into the bottom of my box. Since then, I always use plastic bags to protect whatever I am sending out. Whether I am mailing in an envelope or box, it doesn't matter, I don't want it ruined from the weather or breakage in another package.

your best option is to use a bubble mailer...you can get packages of them at your local dollar store...it may cost a little over a dollar to send each one...the last thing i mailed was $1.22 and it was about the same weight as a dishcloth

someone here mentioned the brown paper to wrap it up in, and i have a suggestion. go to your local newspaper and see if they let people have the end caps off the press. the paper on it is durable and i will use it for larger packages as gift wrap (can paint/decorate it festive, or leave blank for things like the mailing).

another thing, the local post office that i go to is usually VERY helpful on figuiring out the best way to mail something.

good luck

Sandy

I would put the towel in a baggie and stick it in an envelope. I think bubble wrap is overkill for a dishcloth, it won't break, and the plastic bag will keep it dry and clean if "something happened". Maybe a plain manila envelope for a little stronger paper than an ordinary envelope.

If you ever order clothing from a catalog, or even pill bottles from online, it usually just comes in a soft blob of an opaque plastic bag, so there's nothing wrong with mailing something soft and or lumpy. I would take it down to the PO to get it weighed as said above.

I mail things all of the time in a brown 6X8 envelope. It costs about a dollar to mail. You can get the envelopes lots of places including Walgreen and the office stores. You don't need a bubble envelope for this type of item. It costs more to buy and more to mail! Have fun!!

Archived