Scrumptious Scraps Afghan: Dot Matthews (Bythehook)

bythehook

Scrumptious Scraps Afghan

© 2004-2009 Dorothy “Dot” Matthews. All rights reserved.

Originally published at http://patbythehook.blogdrive.com

This pattern is intended for personal use only. You may do what you want with the items you make, as long as you give Dot credit as the designer, with the following restrictions: you may not sell your items online and you may not sell to retail or wholesale stores or businesses. You are welcome to direct people to this pattern by posting a link to it. This pattern may not be posted on any other site or distributed in any other manner.

post-23-135897476743_thumb.jpg

Size: can be made any size you want

Skill: Intermediate

Stitches used: chain (ch); single crochet (sc); half double crochet (hdc); double crochet (dc); treble crochet (tr)

Use the Russian join method to join your scraps together and you won't have to deal with so many loose ends.

RUSSIAN JOIN - weave one end of the yarn back into itself, leaving a loop on the end, thread the next piece of yarn through the loop and weave that end back through itself. Pull the ends to tighten the loops and trim off excess. Confused yet? Here's a couple of links with pictures to help you see what I'm talking about. Russian Join and Russian Join. This is by far my favorite way to join yarns.

Materials:

Black yarn for contrast and lots of scraps for color.

K hook optional for foundation chain and J hook for pattern.

Gauge: not important for this project

Pattern worked in multiples of 14 + 2

Black yarn = color A

Scrap yarn = color B

With black yarn and a K hook, ch 170, switch to J hook.

Row 1: work in bump on back of chain, sc in 2nd st from hook and in ea st across. Turn.

Change to color B.

Row 2: ch 1, sc in first st, *sc in next st, hdc in next 2 sts, dc in next 2 sts, tr in next 3 sts, dc in next 2 sts, hdc in next 2 sts, sc in next 2 sts. Repeat from * across. Change to color A, turn.

Row 3: ch 1, sc in ea st across. Change to color B, turn

Row 4: ch 4 (counts as tr), sk first st, *tr in next st, dc in next 2 sts, hdc in next 2 sts, sc in next 3 sts, hdc in next 2 sts, dc in next 2 sts, tr in next 2 sts. Repeat from * across. Change to color A, turn.

Row 5: ch 1, sc in ea st across. Change to color B, turn.

Repeat rows 2, 3, 4, and 5 to desired length.

Fasten off and weave in ends.

You can add a border of sc around all 4 sides of the afghan, placing 3 sc in ea corner stitch.

• 9 months later...

Dot, I'm so glad I was able to find this today!

I started this pattern 2-3 years ago and absolutely love it to use up scraps. I put it away before moving and just found it the other day, and posted a pic on my blog yesterday for WIP Wednesday.

I knew others would ask for the pattern, and I didn't remember where I'd seen it. I started poring through the afghan page at CPC and there you were!

I'm glad I found it so I could give proper credit. This post links back here to your pattern.

• 3 weeks later...
Dot, I'm so glad I was able to find this today!

I started this pattern 2-3 years ago and absolutely love it to use up scraps. I put it away before moving and just found it the other day, and posted a pic on my blog yesterday for WIP Wednesday.

I knew others would ask for the pattern, and I didn't remember where I'd seen it. I started poring through the afghan page at CPC and there you were!

I'm glad I found it so I could give proper credit. This post links back here to your pattern.

Not fimaliar with the CPC. Can you send me the link please & thank you :)

• 1 month later...

Wow, I am very impressed with this afghan. I haven't started it, but I like the simplicity, yet it is strikingly beautiful. I hope I don't run into problems when I see "tr" - I forget what this means... hmmm

Gisele

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for this pattern!!! I LOVE it :) I have so many scraps but they never seemed to really coordinate with each other. I started this and they are looking beautiful together. My husband is calling it "the coat of many colors" lol. My daughters all want it to go on their bed, lol. I am have to get more "scraps" and make more of these ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Archived