Entering a Fair, help with ideas?

I'm entering a craft fair at our local senior center in town. It's to raise money for the Senior Center. I was going to enter and make some hairbows, but also some crochet things. I have a little less than 30 days to get things made, but about 3 days to give the Director my info for publication. (such as what I will offer) because they want to put out an ad to draw people into the senior center for this fundraiser. What types of crochet things do people like to buy at fairs? Baby hats or maybe dish cloths? The community will be there as well as the seniors, any ideas would be a great help. :D

Well, if you only have 30 days to get the items made they're going to have to be small.

What about the towel toppers for kitchen towels?

I actually used those when I had drawers with handles. They're really nice to have a towel right at hand. And maybe some matching pot holders, dishrags, and I saw a "hot hat". It looks like a small hat, it's made to fit on top of a glass lid or any kind of lid that is on your pot on the cookstove that may be too hot to pick up by a naked hand.

http://www.freepatterns.com/list.html?criteria=FC00795&cat_id=30

Matching sets, would be what I would want to do.

This time of year might also sell seasonal items.... like Christmas dishrags, towels, etc.

The towel toppers and potholders are freely available all over the net.

If you can't find any, tho, I have some I could email you, and they were free that I copied off so I wouldn't think that would be a copyright violation.

Catlyn, Towel toppers are a great idea! I didn't even think of that. I've made some before for a lady to give to her sunday school class, and everyone loved them. I completely forgot about them. They're quick to make too, and there are already Christmas decorations out, so finding Christmas-y towels will be easy. Thank you so much!

Catlyn, Towel toppers are a great idea! I didn't even think of that. I've made some before for a lady to give to her sunday school class, and everyone loved them. I completely forgot about them. They're quick to make too, and there are already Christmas decorations out, so finding Christmas-y towels will be easy. Thank you so much!

You're welcome and don't forget to look at the little "hot hats". They would be super fast and you could coordinate them to your towel toppers and take along an old "lid" to display and show the purpose of the little hot hat.

Hey, I found something else cute and it would be FAST, EASY and CHEAP to make......

they are the eyeglass holders on this web site, about half way down the page.

Looks like they are made out of felt, sewn together on the edges with a whipstitch, a button and button hole...crochet your flowers to sew on, as bought ones would run up the cost and how fast is a little crocheted flower? I bet you could sell alot of these for a dollar. Alot of times people will buy something cheap for a dollar instead of more expensive items, so it's good to have items in different price ranges.

Look here on this link..... about half way down the page.

{Here's a hint....if you make these, coordinate your whipstitching to the color of your flower}.

http://www.purlbee.com/

Oh the matched sets are such a COOL idea!! (thinking Christmas here - woohoo)

BTW Catlyn - i LOVE the hot hats :)

I'm on an "itty bitty" bag kick myself. Quick little crocheted bags (pull cord) or coin purses or over the shoulder (small coin purse with a long "chain stitch" shoulder). These would make great little gifts/stocking stuffers.

Another thing I can think of - if you are on a recycling binge (or have a lot of old AOL CDs), I've seen coasters made with CDs and crochet. Haven't done them myself but they were done in color coordinated sets. A few of the color coordinated were stuffed in plastic canvas "boxes" that were stitched in a coordinated yarn.

Oh the matched sets are such a COOL idea!! (thinking Christmas here - woohoo)

BTW Catlyn - i LOVE the hot hats :)

I'm on an "itty bitty" bag kick myself. Quick little crocheted bags (pull cord) or coin purses or over the shoulder (small coin purse with a long "chain stitch" shoulder). These would make great little gifts/stocking stuffers.

Another thing I can think of - if you are on a recycling binge (or have a lot of old AOL CDs), I've seen coasters made with CDs and crochet. Haven't done them myself but they were done in color coordinated sets. A few of the color coordinated were stuffed in plastic canvas "boxes" that were stitched in a coordinated yarn.

:) I do, too, I haven't made any yet, but would like to, to make some little christmas gifts for the girls at work. I was thinking of a towel with topper, pot holder, and the little hot hat in a matching set.

Everything I am reading about selling at fairs recommends having something small for kids to buy. The sucker cover is a great idea. Does anyone know of a pattern that is free to use and sell finished items?

Everything I am reading about selling at fairs recommends having something small for kids to buy. The sucker cover is a great idea. Does anyone know of a pattern that is free to use and sell finished items?

I haven't found one yet, but if you do find a pattern, alot of times you can e-mail the designer, if they are on ravelry or here it's easy to get intouch with them, and they may give you the go ahead to make and sell them. Or permission for a certian # of items to be made, things like that. Most people are friendly and will say yes if you tag them somewhere with the pattern designer's name. So if you did get permission from someone to use their pattern, your price tag could say

(this is a generic amount, I have no idea what you'd actually sell them for)

$4

Crocheted by (Your name)

Design by (Pattern designer's name)

Hope this helps. :U

On the sucker cover thing...

I have a ghost that was just a piece of linen cut and tied around the stick with raffia. Sharpie marker taken to it for "eyes"

That being said...

I did a search for lollipop cover in google and came up with a few links

Most of them seems to be based on a pretty simple concept of crochet something in the round, tie it over the sucker and decorate as needed for effect

Archived