doily suggestions for 2 strand ghan?

I recently made this doilyghan as a kit from Mary Maxim. Ok, they aren't calling it a doilyghan but I think I know one when I see one. It only took one day to make :eek so naturally it is a winner with me.

it really is just a doily done with 2 strands of Aran yarn.

I am on a quest to find another square or pattern that would work well with that 2 strand technique. I would guess that pattern "Pining Around" would have been about 9 or 10 inches as a doily/square.

I have several doily patterns but they are just not quite what I would use for this... at least so far. I can't start this for a while since I have deadlines for stuff but I like to plan ahead.

Any and all free suggestions would be appreciated :ghug

I showed the pattern to a friend and then forgot to bring it home. I counted :eek the rows in the pic and I think it is about 24/25 rows.

It didn't seem like that many when I was doing it :think

Well this is going to change my search criteria then. :wlol Thanks for asking that question.

That's a really comfortable number of rounds for a regular doily, so I think it would make a nice doily-ghan, too. When you approach (or exceed) 30 rounds, those last rounds can take a long, long time. It's definitely something I look at when I'm choosing a pattern.

May I ask what size hook you used with your double strand?

Darski- I don't know if this pattern is to your preference but, I think it would work up as a very pretty 'gahn :):

Rising Sun

I am familiar with that one from the doily CAL and I plan to make it in single strand.

It might work as a 2-strand ghan... :think :think :think

Oh, I had looked at that pattern, but not bought it yet. You say you did it in one day? So you liked the pattern and it was easy?

yes it was easy and very quick to make up. When I say one day I meant within a 24 hour period. I started it Fri. afternoon and finished it on Sat. afternoon.

I also only used 8 of the 10 skeins of yarn they gave me. I also bought the Crochet Lace book in that order so I am working on a tabletopper/ghan now. (Except I need more yarn to finish it :rofl )

Darskil, that is pretty! :manyheart

The Rising Sun on the NDSU site is nice (I'm using my doily-along one for an antimacassar), but be aware that it's done in quad stitches so might be kind of gappy for an afghan...maybe less so if doubled yarn, but still...I'm thinking the one you did was mostly DCs & chains (not trebles or larger)?

Also in the DAL :heehee I'd made 2 from the Antique Pattern Library's Priscilla Book of Centrepieces & Doilies...that book had a lot of nice ones that are on my WIM list still. One of them made me think of you and your doilyghans because it is not too gappy. It is number 67, pic on page 31, pattern on page 34 of the original book (so it would be in the second PDF division of the book).

ETA-it's written in British terms, so is really DCs, I thought number of rows (26) was OK but overlooked that there are another 7 rounds in the border. Oops, may be too big. :(

Darski,

Can you help me visualize this...what is that makes a one-strand doily ghan different from a two-strand one? What points would make you choose one method over the other? I'm really curious about this...

Darski,

Can you help me visualize this...what is that makes a one-strand doily ghan different from a two-strand one? What points would make you choose one method over the other? I'm really curious about this...

Well I guess it does start with the number of rows. You don't need as many and you could lose the integrity of the design if you just stop early.

It also can use a little more openness to the design. The 2 strands do seem to fatten chains and fill in more. It makes the ghan bulky but the openness offsets that as well. It was very warm for all its open parts though. :whew

I also see this as being more for an adult than for a baby so I sort of have that in mind somehow :think when I am looking. I have only done this one two-strander so I am just feeling my way. Those are the basic things that I can identify so far. When I get another one done, I may have a clearer impression of what works and how to push the envelope.

I have been thinking of all those square pineapple motifs that are very open on the corners. The only thing is that most motifs don't go far enough and you can't always add on extra rows (again) without losing the integrity of the design. I ownder if I could make a continuous join work in two strands. I have ordered some more Aran yarn so I might see if I can do it.

Actually, the table topper that I am now doing (hence more yarn) might just have been a good one to try. it starts as a motif then is really filet... hmnn have to think about that one.

Thanks, Darski. Much as I don't like making afghans, this is the kind of thing I might try sometime. I don't have worsted weight yarn available, so I'd be working with maybe double-stranded dk weight, which is a bit heavier than worsted. I'm just thinking about it right now. Yarn is really expensive here, and I don't buy much...when I do buy it, it's usually for a special project I'm willing to shell out for. I wonder if a doily-style pattern would use less yarn? :think

Yarn is really expensive here, and I don't buy much...when I do buy it, it's usually for a special project I'm willing to shell out for. I wonder if a doily-style pattern would use less yarn? :think

Absolutely. With the amount of open space in a doily it could easily use half the yarn as a solid ghan would.

They just look so pretty.

Has anyone noticed that since we (us at C'ville) have started making the doilies into ghans that now Annie's is carrying books on it. Trendsetting even - I love it!

Absolutely. With the amount of open space in a doily it could easily use half the yarn as a solid ghan would.

They just look so pretty.

Has anyone noticed that since we (us at C'ville) have started making the doilies into ghans that now Annie's is carrying books on it. Trendsetting even - I love it!

Gee whodah thunkit :wlol I have been making these for 10 years. however I did buy that book so as to encourage the trend. :rofl

BTW, they used some really crappy colours for baby ghans in my opinion :yuck but then to each his own.

H Darski-

Your following posts on this thread have piqued my interest even more and last night when looking for something else on Celt's site I came across the Nosegay Doily and had a sudden urge to make this one in the afghan size. I have been wanting to make a round ripple but with so many projects going on right now, it has to be put on hold for a little bit and I would like to order some yarn if I can get a grasp on how much.

I am not concerned with the hook size but what I am wondering is where does one start to calculate how much yarn to purchase when the pattern is vintage and so is the yarn? I have been crocheting since the early 1960's and never came across having to figure this out for a afghan. Any suggestions? :)

Added: I did some searching and cannot find any info on J&P Coats- 6 cord- cotton thread, size 100. Is this a super fine thread since it calls for a size 15 hook? This is the thread I would be converting to yarn.

Thank you RoseREd.. I was not sure what to answer for that question. I agree with your guesstimate.

As to the original cotton and hook information, I never really give that a thought. I just plan to use WW yarn and likely a 6.mm hook for mine. That pattern is on my (very ) long list of doilyghans. I am going to make it sometime fer shure :yes

Your fav is a 6.0 and mine is a 5.5.

Now, check this out - I ordered the entire set of the bates bamboo. I just LOVE them. They run a tad bit small so the 6.0 is actually closer to a 5.75 and that has become my newest most favorite hook.

For the single strand doily ghans - a 30 round doily is the PERFECT size for a baby blanket.

Archived