To Line or not To Line............

teakaycee

This is my question.

The beginning of this month I was absolutely blessed to become the 39th Bag Lady by our very own Tampa Doll.

post-18634-135897430286_thumb.jpg

Now MaryJo leaves it to us Bag Ladies to decide whether or not we want to line our bags. I am still struggling with what to do.

Have any of you other Bag Ladies lined your bags? And how do you like it lined?

See... I think I want to line it .. so I can add some pockets and such... then I think.. naw... its totally fine the way it is. *sigh* I just dont know.

:heart

:mug

Ok, I am not a bag lady and this is just my personal opinion. I would not line it because it would change the feeling of the bag to me. I do not know if this is going to make any sense. But I love to be able to say that this was made for me by this special person and I feel close to them through the workmanship. If I added a lining, I may confuse the feelings. I know this is weird and probably not making sense.

BTW, that is my favorite bag that she has done. Chocolate and Roses, my two favorite things. Congrats!

Ok, I am not a bag lady and this is just my personal opinion. I would not line it because it would change the feeling of the bag to me. I do not know if this is going to make any sense. But I love to be able to say that this was made for me by this special person and I feel close to them through the workmanship. If I added a lining, I may confuse the feelings. I know this is weird and probably not making sense.

BTW, that is my favorite bag that she has done. Chocolate and Roses, my two favorite things. Congrats!

I completely agree. There is heart and soul built into every piece of handiwork. I say leave the heart and soul all MaryJo's.

I have last year's December bag from MaryJo, it's called "Christmas Memories". I left it unlined for a couple of reasons - the first is that that's how MaryJo made it for me. But the second is that these bags stretch to hold SO much, and are capable of carrying quite a large project that uses LOTS of yarn, and if you line them, they will only be as big as the lining. It will cut down a lot on the potential capacity of the bag. Just my two cents. :)

see ladies.... this is part of the reasons I dont want to line it!!!

thank you so much for your thoughts on this.... this is exactly what I was looking for.

so here is a thought... what about lining just the outside pocket? that way it can hold hooks / needles and scissors so I wouldnt have to have a seperate bag to dig for inside the tote itself? hmmmmmmmm?

Okay, Okay I might be jumping off the deep end but, I lined mine because things kept poking through and I was afraid of the bag being damaged or losing my things. I can still feel the love that went into making this wonderful bag. The outside is untouched and you can still see all the beautiful work! Mine was a red, white and blue bag and I lined it with red fabric with tiny white stars. I even lined the handles. MaryJo, Please don't feel I am unappreciative because I lined the bag you sent me, it truly was for a good reason!:hug

there are alot of wonderful cotton and cotton blend fabrics around that make great lining they are bright and cheery and would not add alot to the inside..would also make the bag a little more stable... i would because it would keep things from poking out of the holes...

Perhaps you could make a purse organizer to use in it (I have seen felted organizers in some WIPs signature lines so i know some 'villers have patterns for them).

That way you can add pockets but leave the original work intact.

Just a thought.

I am not a bag lady, so I may not know what I am talking about ;) But... why don't you make a lining that you can remove. Maybe sew a few buttons around the top of the bag with button holes in the top of the lining to hold the lining in place :think Then if you decide that you made a huge mistake, it is easily remedied by taking off the buttons.

I am not a bag lady, so I may not know what I am talking about ;) But... why don't you make a lining that you can remove. Maybe sew a few buttons around the top of the bag with button holes in the top of the lining to hold the lining in place :think Then if you decide that you made a hug mistake, it is easily remedied by taking off the buttons.

Now thats a grand idea!!!! I think thats exactly what I am going to work on!!! Thank you!!! See............ this is why I LOVE this place!

Everyone shares your troubles and ideas! Which puts an ease in your mind and heart.... I feel much better about lining my bag now. With the removable idea... I will be able to leave MaryJo's original love intact... while adding my own piece of appreciation! Awesome!

Now to go fabric diving.............. :U

how do you become a "bag lady"?

Just wondering. Didn't know anything about this until I read this post.

Tammy

Hi Tammy, Every month Tampa Doll (Mary Jo) makes a beautiful tote bag and sends it to a very lucky person. She never picks the winner the same way. Someone might giver her a suggestion or maybe names in a hat or just however she feels like doing the picking that month.

Archived