*Squeee!* Glow in the Dark hooks!

They ARE really cool! I wanted them IMMEDIATELY, as soon as I saw them! Never mind that I don't particularly like Susan Bates hooks and I DESPISE plastic hooks, but that glow-in-the-dark thing just hit me where I live and I felt I would not draw another breath unless I had them! :lol

Then I made that fatal mistake - I pointed them out to DH, who wasted not a split second in coming up with a list of questions about them that, well, I just couldn't answer. I hated to admit it to him (and I DIDN'T admit it to him! :lol), but in this case he just MIGHT be right. Help me out here, girls, I have to convince him they're not just a gimmick otherwise I will NEVER hear the end of it should I purchase these! He will haunt me for the rest of my days unless I can somehow prove to him that these hooks are not just Ad Men preying on women who can't resist different-type things! What function does the glow-in-the-dark-ability of them serve? Do they throw off enough light that you can crochet in the dark with them? And if not, how will you see them glow while you're crocheting since you'll need to have enough light in the room to be able to see your stitches? Does their luminescence have any other function besides the very obvious coolness factor?

way cool!!!!! I have never hear of glow in the dark yarn.. where would you get it at??

Mary Maxim for starters... I don't know who else has it, but I want it bad!!! :bheart It comes in blue, pink, green, purple and yellow! On sale right now for $2.97/ea, regularly $4.99. Details: 70% acrylic/30% polyester, medium weight, 72yds/skein and according to Mary Maxim, if it's in light for 5 minutes, it glows for 5 minutes... Too bad it's not longer! And this yarn isn't even listed on Bernat's website. Mary Maxim is the only place I saw it!

ETA: Found it on Bernat's website... apparently it's been discontinued, so if you're interested you'd better snatch it up quick!

Why would someone use glow in the dark crochet hooks? I've never crocheted in the dark. :confused

If you are crocheting with dark yarn, it will help. I also crochet in the car (with DH driving) on trips at night. It sure would help.

I crochet when my dh is in bed sometimes and the light-up hooks really help. they also help with dark yarn.

As for the glow-in-the-dark yarn...I have 2 skeins of the Bernat in purple, they are really pretty but I have no idea what to use them for! :lol

• 2 years later...

I had heard that other companies make the glow in the dark yarn that will glow for several hours. I have yet to finish my search as to what brand yarn that is.

I would love to have these hooks since my latex allergy prevents me from using the light up hooks I so dearly wanted. (squishy parts on the handles grrrr)

I am now curious about the glow in the dark paint that was mentioned. How well does that glow? How long will the paint last before it is rubbed off? Will glow in the dark nail polish work?

I tend to not like any other hooks but my Boye hooks. It is just something about the neck and groove parts on the other hooks that i don't work well with.

Archived