Crochet Hooks on Ebay

I have been watching ebay auctions for hooks like..

sharky's

Graydog

Sonshapes

And I am just absolutely AMAZED at the prices people will pay for these things. I want one but can't get myself to pay 50 bucks for a hook.

I wanted to commend Bill at Turn of the Century for keeping his hooks so affordable!!! I mean, $13 a hook, you can't beat that and his shipping is reasonable too.

Seriously. the other hooks on Ebay......WHO PAYS that much???

THIS one went for almost 500 HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!!!!! YIKES

How about THIS one!!!! $575???? and the same person bought another one for just over 500 too. Ummmmmmmm What the heck?? That's crazy.

Wonder who the heck "pempek" is. They seem to be the one buying up all his hooks at OUTRAGEOUS prices!

Makes it tough for us little people to appreciate them. It's too bad. thank goodness for people like Bill at TOTC.

I advise every person who wants a wooden hook and sees them on ebay but can't afford them to go to Turn of the Century and buy one from him. He does incredible work and the variety of woods are beautiful. Plus, the purchase won't be you out on the street!!!!

I agree, Trish. I've got wilyumswood and graydog marked as favorite sellers simply because his work is SO beautiful. Unfortunately, there are those who will make sure the little guy can't get them.

TOTC hooks do look very beautiful, and the price is oh-so-reasonable. I don't have one, but am eyeing the newer woods Bill's using!! :manyheart

I bought one of Graydog's hooks a couple of years ago. I paid about $28 for it and thought that was a lot. I was willing to pay that much for it as it was a gift for my mother and it was an ergonomically correct hook. But I can't imagine paying more than $500 for a hook. I'd be afraid to use it and lose it or break it. And I'm not into having a collector's item.

This is the second time I have seen a reference to TOTC, and I am going to check him out.

I guess I'm overly practical...I can't imagine even concidering spending that much on a hook even if money were't an issue! And I have thought about the limit I would spend on one hook and would have to say around 20 bucks.

Pretty though!:)

I can't imagine paying that much for a crochet hook. If I had just the money pempek paid for those two hooks, I could pay 2/3's of my property taxes before the end of the month.

She has way too much extra money or is in way over her head in debt. She certainly makes it hard for us little folks to enjoy some of life's finer treasures.

Maybe we should all get together and bombard her with emails asking how in the world she can afford to pay that much.

Life just isn't fair sometimes.....

I LOVE Bill's hooks!!! I bought one for myself and one for my step-mom -- well, after using my J hook for a few days, I ordered 5 more!!! I ended up giving one to a friend, but I'm keeping the others! I'm also wanting a Q hook for big, thick double-strand afghans for winter....hmmmmm. I might have to go shopping. :devil (HA, too bad I spent my allowance already this week...LOL)

Oh, and Bill has GREAT customer service, too. I asked quite a few questions (via email) and he was always patient with me. Good service seems to be few and far between -- I try to thank those with good service to let them know it's appreciated. :manyheart

highly recommend TOTC!!!

I have a graydog hook. I paid about $40 with shipping. I really wanted the "jingle rings" hook, and it was a P (I use P hooks a lot), so I was willing to splurge. Turns out - I don't even care for it that much. It's pretty, but I like my Ozarktwist hooks MUCH better (though the prices on those have been getting crazy lately too and I can't bring myself to pay that much no matter how awesome they are).

I have never used a wooden crochet hook. You must tell me more about them please.

Isabella,I bought my first wood hook from Turn of the Century just because it was pretty!After working with it a few days,I found that I loved the way it felt in my hand(warm)and not having a thumb rest,it's just easier to use.I get to hold it the way that's most comfortable for me.

I can't honestly believe that someone (the same person) bought those hooks for $500 - did you see the bid history - same two bidding against each other in both auctions. I'd rather spend $500 on yarn....ha ha!

I've bought Bill's hooks before and I swear - he's the nicest man on the face of the planet. Bill needs a button so I can put on my blog!!!

Archived