Differences??? Half Moon and Elspeth Shawls

I was looking around for new non-triangular or retangular shawls and ran across one I didn't remember seeing the name of before. Then I looked at the picture... :think

What is Lion Brand trying to pull? The Half Moon and Elspeth shawls are the EXACT same shawl!!! :eek I'm hope I'm not the first to notice this.

Even the pictures in the PDFs are the same model in the same pose and in the same clothes! It's pretty obvious that a bit of photoshopping changed the shawl and background color? There is a "bump" in the center back of the first "solid" section from the top and it's there in both pictures. And the blue color from the shirt she has on you can see through the exact same holes on both pictures. Doesn't make me want to look around there much if they are going to list the same pattern under different names. :angry

I think I ran across that with an afghan too a while back.

I've noticed a few items on the LB site that are the same pattern with a different name, it's mildly annoying to say the least :bang

So glad it's not just me! And it's even in the SAME YARN!!!!! :rolleyes

How far are you from Selby, North Yorkshire?

Interesting...if you just do a search on 'half moon', several versions (same pattern in different lengths & yarns), including the one that is the same as the Elspeth (although it is a different pattern number). Maybe they started with Elspeth and 'branched out'? One of the versions isn't free :think

Interesting...if you just do a search on 'half moon', several versions (same pattern in different lengths & yarns), including the one that is the same as the Elspeth (although it is a different pattern number). Maybe they started with Elspeth and 'branched out'? One of the versions isn't free :think

Do places really think consumers are that dumb? :think Don't answer that! ;)

If someplace offers the same thing one place free and then either calls it something else or puts it in a different area and charges for it that is something that makes me want to take my business elsewhere. :(

In today's economy that kind of thing really irritates me. I don't mind paying for patterns at all, I do it a lot. But to pay for a pattern and then run across it at the same retailer free? :angry Too many other places to shop to have to put up with that.

Don't get me started on that either. Believe me, I noticed! Couldn't help but notice!

Just to clarify: Everything I have noticed recently is an old free pattern being brought back as a new free pattern by just changing the name (or, in a few cases, the name and the color). IMHO, the same exact design with two different names does *not* constitute two different patterns.

I actually have to go against the grain here, sorry gals, because I am so HAPPY for FREE patterns I don't dare complain in fear they would stop giving free patterns, I can see it could be a bit of an annoyance, but still, they are free, and that alone is kind of them, in my eyes only. Sorry if I offend anyone that is just how I feel.

HUGS and HOOKS

JoBug

I actually have to go against the grain here, sorry gals, because I am so HAPPY for FREE patterns I don't dare complain in fear they would stop giving free patterns, I can see it could be a bit of an annoyance, but still, they are free, and that alone is kind of them, in my eyes only. Sorry if I offend anyone that is just how I feel.

HUGS and HOOKS

JoBug

Oh I completely understand and agree! It just makes it difficult for me to track down if I am already linking to one of them so I don't link to both so I don't have duplicates in the same category....

HUGS and HOOKS

JoBug

I very much appreciate free patterns as well and I have quite a few. Because of that I have written companies and pattern creators thanking them for their generosity. But I also buy patterns and it's not really encouraging to buy a pattern and then find the exact same pattern free under another name at the same retailer.

Some places I have dealt with tuck a pattern normally for sale in as a freebie with a paid order but I think that is much different than offering it for sale and also putting it in with downloadable freebies under another name.

Just my two cents...

I agree with JObug. I'm thankful for free patterns:clap( I"m on a fixed income) and use them a lot:hook I do buy patterns also but you get a better variety with free one's. my hats off to the peoople who do give them. thanks :lol bert

Archived