Teaching a Young Child to Crochet

I've taught many adults and my girls to crochet (my girls were probably 12 or 13 when they learned) but my 4 year old grandson wants to learn. But I'm not sure how to teach him.:think

Should I start with him just making a chain? Should I do the chain and teach him a sc? And should I teach him how to hold the yarn or just let it dangle until he can learn how to hold it later? I don't want him to get too frustrated and no want to try anymore. I also gave him a plastic hook (just in case if breaks or gets lost, it's not a favorite of mine) in a size L. I thought it might be easier for him to hold a larger hook instead of a G.

I always start by teaching them to make a chain bracelet. Then I teach them to make the chain, and single crochet a pot holder. Then we go on to a larger project. By the time they've gotten good, they have several projects. My girls like to keep them in a scrap box to show how they progressed.

Wish you the best of luck. It is a rewarding thing to pass on !:clap

Definitely skip the slip knot until he can handle the chain. He may have trouble, due to developing fine motor control, but if you're "hooking" with him, it should help (help hold the yarn etc) So long as the loops are going through the loops, it's an encouraging start.

And a chain can make a "collar" for a stuffed pet :)

He might like finger "knitting" or finger crocheting otherwise too...Utube has videos I'm sure.

HTH

Seems to me if I remember my history a couple hundred years ago little ones were learning all kinds of fiber crafts by this age. I believe I have even read that in some areas that they had to have pieced all the quilt squares for their first quilt by their fifth bithday. I can't imagine. I think that shows an extra of the past and now I see the young ones being treated like they can't do anything when it comes to the fiber arts until they are older. I think we need to find a happy medium and if your grandson is showing and interest follow his lead he will show you what you need to teach him. Of course back then a lot of children didn't know their abc's, numbers and so on because it wasn't 'important' now our children know those things but not the arts. I think there must be a middle ground.

No matter what the best thing about this will be the time you spend with your grandson and the memories you will make.

Thank you for all your suggestions.:) I will see if there is a video for the finger crocheting and see if that is something he can do by himself. I help him do the chain but he wants to do it himself. :D We do a lot together, like read and cook, so we will have those memories but hopefully he'll want to continue with crocheting with me if I can make it fun for him.

• 1 month later...

Teaching a youngster is not much different than a teen. Use simple words and physically show as you explain. My Grandmother Drake worked with very fine thread, when I asked she dug out some yarn and showed the slip stitch and finger crochet. when that got "even", she showed me a hook and how to hold it. I still hold it in my fist like a 4 year old, because of arthritis. When I could do a "even" chain with a hook, then came single crochet, and I even started designing Barbie clothing. Very holey, and uneven but I knew what I wanted and could make it within just a couple of weeks. Most of all use favorite colors and lots of praise. I still remember the accomplishment of my first Barbie fashion show with things that I designed. He could probably make a knotted belt with several lengths of chain stitch knotted every few inches and fridgie ornaments..... knots that he didn't mean to make with a magnet glued to it. He may get laughs and it will be something for a "remember box" and to show how good he is getting. And at 4 everything is hard and remind him of this....and tell him that we wish him well on the accomplishment of every "project" he completes. Does he have sisters or girl cousins that he could make hairbands for?....Chains that tie on top of head to keep hair out of eyes.

So you think my 5 (almost 6) year old daughter could learn also? She has been begging to learn, but I was told I should wait until she was 8 or 9. She is pretty good with her hands. I think i will start with a finger change, i have some scrap yarn that she could play with. :)

If she's wanting to learn, let her try. My grandson hasn't said much lately because I've not been able to crochet in the evenings. Once we move, I'll be able to do more and he'll probably want to try again.

• 3 weeks later...

When I was little, Mom taught me how to crochet by first teaching me how to "thumb crochet," which she had found in Highlights magazine, and then adding a regular sized hook. I don't completely remember this event, but according to her, I figured out how to hold the yarn on my owm

Archived