Granny Square Question

What makes a Granny Square a Granny Square? I have a book

"99 Granny Squares" Some of the squares only the center looks

like a Granny.

Suellen

Hmmmmm, That's a good question. :think I hope someone has an answer. I never thought about it before.

I think a lot of square motifs worked from the centere are referred to as Granny Squares, but they really aren't what I'd define as the traditional pattern.

It's like the other post where someone asked 'how many stitches are there?' and a couple of folks replied '1, the rest are a variation on the chain stitch', which is true.

It just depend on how you want to look at it I guess.

By wiki's definition, it's "a" technique for crocheting a square from the center out, but I wouldn't define "all" squares worked from the center as granny squares. I have made square doilies with thread from the center out, and no one would call them granny squares.

And than we add the fact that not all grannies are squaare. We have the rectangles, hexes and pentagons. :eek

I would suggest that a defining characteristic would be the use of colour. I wouldn't bet the rent money on that part but I do feel that it is an element of them.

I think it is like good art... You know it when you see it :rofl

Wikipedia also says:

According to Edie Eckman in The Crochet Answer Book, The familiar granny square is a special form of square motif. Although there are many variations on the granny square, the traditional one is a double-crocheted square made with a series of chains and double-crocheted blocks--a kind of filet crochet in the round.[3]

"Any granny square begins with a small loop of chain stitches. Basic granny squares alternate sets of double stitches and chain stitches. Variant patterns use different stitch types or produce other geometric shapes such as hexagons. In order to achieve a distinct angle at the corners the designer uses extra chain stitches.[4] Subsequent rounds are added by wrapping multiple stitches around the existing chain stitches. Hundreds of variant motifs are in use and entire books have been devoted to granny square designs.[5]"

so it doesn't preclude different shapes or stitches

Ah, thanks for providing the expanded wiki definition. I was thinking about this last night and I agree the granny 'essence' is the "series of chains and double-crocheted blocks" part of the pattern. Doesn't have to be completely blocks and chains, but it should be there somewhere. Like Darski said, you know it when you see it!

I think the blocks & spaces do set a granny square apart from other motifs.

Repeating "you know when you see it". Even when it's not a square motif joined to others, you can spot the granny square in clothing (like retro vests & jackets) due to the blocks of dc & chain spaces. It is a pattern stitch of it's own. I really like seeing modernized variations of it.

Thank. I know a lot more than I did before. I also find that I can pick out a Granny Square pattern even when it is not a square. People that don't crochet would look at you funny if you said, "I am making a Granny square afghan with pentagons"

Suellen

Archived