Crocheted Ferragamo Bag

I was in a yarn shop on Saturday with my mom that is on Ventura Blvd. in Studio City, California - we had never been to this one and thought we would swing by and see whats it is like. This place had tons of yarn, so much I was so excited and happy and overwhelmed.., but the owner and her hubby were not very welcoming and they did not have any prices on any of their yarn, I felt like an idiot everytime I found something I liked, I had to ask how much it was. Anyways, there was a Crocheted bag in a locked case on display, my mom really liked it and asked me if I could ask the owner if there was a pattern. Her reply was "there is no way she was going to sell the pattern unless I purchased the $500.00 hardware that was on the purse", she said it is a knock off of a Crocheted Ferragamo Bag that sells for $5,000. She acted like I insulted her and then her hubby informed me that I should be knitting because there are not many crochet patterns that are nice.....!!! Needless to say I left there unhappy and did not purchase anything because of their rudness. But lucky for me I found a pattern that looks exactly like the one she had all locked up like it was in prison from www.littleprojectscrafts.com it's the Celebrity Look-Alike Crocheted Bag by Josephine Woo - Thank you Josephine Woo :cheer:cheer:clap:c9

that is a really cute bag. i'd love to have one of those.

why would ANY store owner be rude? especially in this economy. i don't understand that at all.

$500 for a couple of leather handles? my gosh! I think they're about $30 most places. Sounds like the shopping scene in Pretty Woman with the snobby salespeople:lol Good for you for finding the pattern elsewhere.

Slightly off-topic, I've seen a couple of knitting books written by "Hollywood" knitters/designers/shopowners who apparently know all the celebrities, and was not a bit impressed with the designs.

as a business owner, i cannot imagine being rude to folks like that. someone else mentioned the scene from pretty woman, remember the end of that.....she comes back in and asks " do you remember me? do you work on commission? big mistake!" w/ all the clothes she'd bought.

LOL. if wanted to be evile, could take your "knock-off" in show it off.

Sandy

What is the name of the shop? You can PM me with it if you don't want to post it here. I visited a shop about 3 weeks ago and the women inside were also rude. There was no man, though. I am a SAHM so I had to take my two youngest with me, although one was in a small stroller and the other was holding my hand. They did not touch a single thing but one of the women watched me wherever I went, and I actually heard her sigh as I walked toward the door!

Also if you have a great suggestion for an LYS in the valley I'd love to hear it. There is one close to my home but the older women who run it are also rude because I crochet, but do not knit. How dumb.

Hmmm, I wonder if the shop owner has a sister on the East Coast that has a LYS as well. I had the exact same thing happen to me. Totally rude, no prices on the yarn for the most part. I found an beautiful yarn that was funky and very colorful that I would have loved to buy, but not at $64.00 per skein. I am in business as well and would never dream of treating a customer like that.

i don't know why LYS owners are rude to crocheters....crocheting takes up more yarn to make items. so more yarn = more sales.

they should be bowing at our feet!

What is the deal with no prices on the yarn? "if you have to ask, you can't afford it"? I guess they are setting themselves up as luxury purveyors for those who don't have to know the price before they decide to buy something.

Fortunately for us all, there are so many genuinely nice LYS to shop in:hook

I had that happen a few years ago. I had a baby sweater I made from vintage yarn. I needed just enough to make about 1-inch of stitching, so I thought a yarn shop where they dyed their own yarns would be the answer. They gasped when I showed them something made of acrylic yarn! Oh and it was crocheted too! Gasp!!!

Archived