I have an Angora Rabbit

giamattie

• 2 weeks later...

Wow Holly, that's a cool pic Do they shed that much that she can just pull it from him and insta-spin with it?? Cuz I sure hope she's not yanking it outta the lil' fella. :( Tho I doubt he'd be sitting there so calmly if she were, hehe.

I don't think people normally spin directly from the bunny, I'm sure this had a little showoffishness to it (in a good way). But when they are shedding, the hair does come out in wads painlessly. You can see from the picture she isn't restraining him in any way :) Iif he was uncomfortable, he could have hopped right off her lap.

Funny side note. A lady in my spinning group has a few Angora rabbits. She combs them to collect their fur. One of the boy bunnies enjoys being combed, but only for short amounts of time. When he decides he's had enough (sitting in her lap) he'll pee :eek She's quite thankful that he's the only one who has discovered this nifty trick.

Holly

I used to raise angora rabbits, they need to be groomed and in the summer when it is hot , the fur pulled off until they are almost naked. I spun up alot of angora. It can be spun by itself, but only about 10% to 20% is necessary for the effect, mixing with wool for the balance. The angora can be spun very tightly and fine and it will still halo after it is worked up. I spun from the rabbit at a demo once, people where always asking if I was making the ball of fluff in my lap????

Deb

My SIL has several angora's. I would like to have one or two, but alas, with our military life style, it's just not gonna happen right now. I have helped her "harvest" the wool by "plucking" the bunnies. Just grabbing the hair and pulling. It comes right out and they seem to react better to it then the brushing as the tines of the brush can irrate their skin. it's soooo soft. I mix mine with sheep wool as Deb said you only need a small amount to give the effect. It gives off a nice halo effect that is soft and warm. I made my mom some mittens with it and she still wears them in the winter.

• 1 month later...

Archived