Grandmother's 90th birthday

Ok I'm thinking of making my grandmother Mexico's flag for her 90th birthday this grandmother is on my mom's side which that side is Mexican so I'm wondering do you think that she would like an afghan the colors of Mexico's flag?

Even though I have been crocheting since the 1970's I'm by no means an expert, but I did have a thought or idea. Why don't you crochet the flag with out the bird. Then after you have completed the afghan/flag either crochet the bird as an applique and sew it to the afghan/flag. Or you could enlarge a picture of the flag until the bird is the size you need then use it as a template to cut one from fabric and sew/glue it to the afghan/flag. Either one you might want to put a little fiberfill behind it so it would have a raised effect. To keep the fiberfill from poking through you might put it in an old knee high stocking or just a piece of an old knee high or pair of pantyhose. Good Luck. It sounds like the best 90th birthday present ever.

Or do the afghan as a single crochet without the bird and then embroidery the bird into the middle. This will allow you to use detail on the bird and still keep the movement of the stitches.

wow what great ideas I plan on crocheting the flag afghan then putting the bird on thank you all so much for the input

At least her birthday is 6 months away hard to believe but I know that I can probably get all my aunts and uncles to buy the yarn since this will be one expensive project now I just need to find the right colors so anybody have suggestions on yarn what inexpensive brand I was thinking redheart,bernat,and I'm not really sure of others I would appreciate any suggestions at least in the way of non-expensive yarns

At least her birthday is 6 months away hard to believe but I know that I can probably get all my aunts and uncles to buy the yarn since this will be one expensive project now I just need to find the right colors so anybody have suggestions on yarn what inexpensive brand I was thinking redheart,bernat,and I'm not really sure of others I would appreciate any suggestions at least in the way of non-expensive yarns

I don't think it's going to be as expensive as you think. I did a US flag in pretty much the dimensions that you want this one to be, and the yarn cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of $45, and that included shipping. You're looking at basically the same yarn requirements, only instead of red, white and blue you need red, white and green. It's just that instead of alternating with stripes you'll be doing three solid patches of color, but that will make it less of a pain for the weaving in of ends.

I would recommend Red Heart Super Saver, 8 oz. skeins, 4 of each color, so 12 skeins total. That will give you a nice, big afghan that will hold its shape well, wear well, and get softer with each washing. Personally, I don't like the yarns like the Caron Simply Soft for afghans because I find them difficult to work with (splitty) and not enough body to them. The blanket is too limp. I prefer the RHSS because, like I said, it gets softer with each washing but still has nice body to it. Remember, though, this is just my own personal opinion.

Thank you so much Elle I will go with the rhss I even researched the color green, white, and red for the pattern

I don't think it's going to be as expensive as you think. I did a US flag in pretty much the dimensions that you want this one to be, and the yarn cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of $45, and that included shipping. You're looking at basically the same yarn requirements, only instead of red, white and blue you need red, white and green. It's just that instead of alternating with stripes you'll be doing three solid patches of color, but that will make it less of a pain for the weaving in of ends.

I would recommend Red Heart Super Saver, 8 oz. skeins, 4 of each color, so 12 skeins total. That will give you a nice, big afghan that will hold its shape well, wear well, and get softer with each washing. Personally, I don't like the yarns like the Caron Simply Soft for afghans because I find them difficult to work with (splitty) and not enough body to them. The blanket is too limp. I prefer the RHSS because, like I said, it gets softer with each washing but still has nice body to it. Remember, though, this is just my own personal opinion.

A good choice!

Archived