Thread Holder or Stand

corky264

Folks,

I don't know if this is the right place to put this or not .

I am looking for a crochet thread holder/stand . I found a few but they will only work for the small ones and I usually buy the big white or cream colors because they are cheaper.

I have one I am working with on a stand alone paper towel holder but I still have to use two hands to unroll the thread off .and the tread I pull off has a tendency to get knotted up. It does not work real well.

Does anyone know where I can find one that will not cost me an arm and a leg? I am on disability Or does anyone have instruction on how to make one ? I got two brothers that like to make things.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Corky

I use cones as well. I tried the paper towel holder thing too.

The stick through the middle does not go all the way up and through the center of the cone so it doesn't spin very freely.

If you could get your brother(s) to make a good solid base a bit wider than the base of the thread cone (preferably heavier than the weight of the cone) with a dowel in the middle that would fit through the cone it may work. Just a thought.

Now I have to ask my hubby to make one.

Sheryl

• 3 weeks later...

I found a paper towel holder at the dollar store. It is heavy 'wrought iron' and I can put three small balls or two big ones on it. I put a circle of cardboard in between the balls and it has worked really well for me. It has a wide base though so it isn't tippy or anything.

BUT I do like that thingy above!......Where did you come by it bajr?

bajr,

Where did you find yours or did someone make it for you?

I found a paper towel holder at the dollar store. It is heavy 'wrought iron' and I can put three small balls or two big ones on it. I put a circle of cardboard in between the balls and it has worked really well for me. It has a wide base though so it isn't tippy or anything.

BUT I do like that thingy above!......Where did you come by it bajr?

DH made it for me, it has a swivel so the thread ball turns, no more tangles or chasing the ball of thread. It has worked out really well. We sold some a few years back on ebay and at a local craft fair/festival. I am not sure if it is ok to put this here or not, but I could probably convince him to make more.

• 1 month later...
Something like this...maybe?

eBayPics002.jpg

That is the one I want!!!!! I have use my bead spinner to keep ball from spinning onto the floor, but occasionally the thread gets tangled in it...

I use the cone holder when I am making my bags. For the balls of thread, I have a case DH put holes in the top of that I put the thread through and it rolls around in the case and not on the floor.:hook

• 1 month later...
DH made it for me, it has a swivel so the thread ball turns, no more tangles or chasing the ball of thread. It has worked out really well. We sold some a few years back on ebay and at a local craft fair/festival. I am not sure if it is ok to put this here or not, but I could probably convince him to make more.

bahr,

how SW~~~EET!

It's on my Christmas list~

wildrosehips

@>-,--

I have a double thread ball holder which I bought from Katchkan's husband.

I also use a dowel, for the large thread balls. I put two brackets on the inside of the legs of a tea table, I can slide the dowel easily in and out of the brackets. I also use empty thread holders to separate the balls.

Sometimes I use a paper towel stand. Have found that both the metal and the wooden ones work all right. The metal is heavier and allows for pulling a little harder.

I don't yet have one for cones, but am working on ideas for adapting something for that.

Here's a link to a post with the single thread ball holder that Katchkan's husband makes: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=321836&postcount=1

The double one is two-storey.

I think the TP holder is the way to go, when I googled thread holders there were quite a few made this way some were just mounted on a block of wood and others had a little drawer underneath to store your hooks. Pretty cool idea actually.

I have used toilet paper holders mounted to a top of a low table. Also paper towel holders, the horizontal kind, mounted on brackets of the side of a table.

It's fun trying out different ones. I've had good luck with finding them at thrift stores.

Archived