Buying buttons for your crochet wearables...

Does anyone have a favorite online site where they buy buttons for on baby sweaters, or childrens items they have crocheted?

It would be a great help. Because I am so far from town, it is hard to just run in to the store. :yes

Don't buy buttons on line, so sorry. But what I do is whenever in a store that does sell buttons, I always make a stop to browse through them. I often find a lot on clearance too!!! But my best looking ones are those that I received from the lovely gals on the ville. I had buttons on my wish list. Also managed to get a lot of fancy designer types at flea markets and yard sales. And when I have a piece of clothing that doesn't fit and is not reusable for someone else, I always cut off and save the buttons. I use them all from Great Big Shank buttons for purses to tiny ones for doll clothes. I never turn away from a good button, :lol.

I'll keep an eye on this thread as I don't manage to get to the shop so often these days. I usually take my finished item to the shop so that I can try the button in the hole and check for size, but I am now needing to buy online (or stock up next time I do get out).

If you don't mind me adding to your thread, I have been trying to find some Disney buttons for a toddler girl's cardigan. Can anyone suggest a place to buy please?

yes polymer clay is baked, and hershnerr's (sp) is have a inventory over stock sale thata includes polymer clay for .49 on certain colors at this site....

http://www.herrschners.com/Emailspecials.aspx?sourcecode=5092387&link=3&email=878984

Thanx for the link. Love the kitty in your avatar, reminds me of my "Pretty", she passed away many years ago.

Thanx for the link. Love the kitty in your avatar, reminds me of my "Pretty", she passed away many years ago.

Thank you, her name is Lathe. She is one of our resident wild cats that decided she really liked me. I was the first human to touch her, and she has never been hurt by a human, so she now thinks that my soul purpose in life is to love and pet her. She lives at my work along with her mama.

Found a great place for all kinds of buttons. I ordered some, so now the wait to see how the delivery is. They have all sorts of novelty buttons for kids as well as regular buttons at store prices. The only drawback was you have to buy them in lots. But that really isn't bad, as when there are only 2 (or more) buttons on a card, I need to buy more than one card of them anyways. The ones I bought you had to buy in lots of 3 and some in lots of 6. They had buttons shaped like bugs, flowers, vehicles, toys, etc, etc, etc.

It seemed like every time I put in a search for more buttons designs, I kept finding more and more!

Here is the site: http://www.createforless.com/search/search.aspx?txtSearch=fashion%20buttons&gclid=COD9-9myh5kCFQEpGgodJzJimg

Has anyone else purchased from them? They also have other craft items, but as I was button surfing, I didn't take the time to check out the rest of their website. ..... another day!

On several occasions because I didn't have any handy I've just made crocheted buttons myself out of a "popcorn". Not too long ago I'd bought a set of small buttons for a child's cardigan and they turned out to be too small, I couldn't return them because they came secured by staples and they were gone, nor did I really want to drive back to the store. I then noticed one of my own cardigans had crocheted buttons so I made them that way and they looked just fine. Here's the pic:

th_ToddlerSweater.jpg

(clickable image, may be enlarged)

yes polymer clay is baked, and hershnerr's (sp) is have a inventory over stock sale that includes polymer clay for .49 on certain colors at this site....

http://www.herrschners.com/Emailspecials.aspx?sourcecode=5092387&link=3&email=878984

Thanks for the Herrschners link.

In addition to the button site links I listed before; I also have a button jar ... okay 2 of buttons that were my grandmother's. I've used buttons out of there for special projects as well.

I'll keep an eye on this thread as I don't manage to get to the shop so often these days. I usually take my finished item to the shop so that I can try the button in the hole and check for size, but I am now needing to buy online (or stock up next time I do get out).

If you don't mind me adding to your thread, I have been trying to find some Disney buttons for a toddler girl's cardigan. Can anyone suggest a place to buy please?

Check out http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=sr_gallery_16&listing_id=18487618

also, if you do a disney button search at http://www.joann.com/joann/search/search_results.jsp?CATID=cat1110&keywords=disney+buttons&_requestid=202692 you'll find a couple.

Yarnluver,

What a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome! I'm sure there's outfits for which one may prefer "real" buttons but these can work in a pinch and they're so easy to make, all that needs to be done have to do is tie up the two little tails tightly and knot a couple of times, I've even used the tails to tie and secure the "buttons" on the item. I've used them also for "towel toppers", usually in a contrasting color.

Are you making a sweater for a special baby? Ask babies Grandma - when I made a set for my Goddaughter, her Mom had buttons stashed away from some of her baby cloths.

Archived