"Rainbow Blocks" blanket-how to prevent loops?

Keiyla

Question

I've been working on "Rainbow Blocks" Baby afghan from Leisure Arts' "Over the Rainbow Baby Afghans" leaflet #3229. It's a really cute, unique little blanky, because there is a "body" that leaves slits for additional crocheted strips, and you weave the strips through the slits, so the whole blanket looks and is interwoven.

The problem is the strips themselves. While the body of the afhgan is no problem, since each row is joined by sc'd, the strips that are woven into the slits are only attached to the body by the edging. The strips are only held in place by the fact they are woven in, and by the edging. Knowing babies, and how "grabby" they get, I can easily forsee one of the strips getting pulled, creating a big loop that body parts could get caught in.

There is nothing in the pattern that suggests tacking down the strips, and I have no idea how to go about it on my own. I thought about sewing them down, but I don't know if I should sew the edges down, or tack the middles in random placeswhere both layers meet, or what. The problem is, because it is two layers, that no matter what color thread I use to tack with, it will be the wrong color on at least one side.

I'm wondering if anyone else has made this blanket, or knows what problem Im trying to overcome, or if anyone has any ideas on how to go about making this afghan baby-safe without ruining the cuteness of it.

10 answers to this question

You could solve your problem by stitching some pretty buttons onto where the two pieces overlap, using colours which match where they are being sewn. Just make sure they are flat buttons.

Another thing you could do would be to tie it with ribbon they same as quilters do sometimes on baby quilts. You may have to stitch each bow to keep them from coming undone.

The third idea would be to find some nursery motifs and stitch them on.

Or lastly, just stitch with the matching colour between the layers.

Hope this helps.

Colleen.

I would not suggest using buttons on something for a baby. They might come loose and the baby could choke on them. I don't see anything wrong with tacking down the strips that are woven in though I'm not familiar with this specific pattern. Do you have to do the weaving? How does it look without it? You could do that stitch where you stitch over the current stitches. I forget what it's called but I'm sure I will remember as soon as I hit send. LOL For babies you have to be careful. Fuzzy ends will be a temptation to put in the mouth as well. Ever got yarn fuzz in your mouth? yuck.

MMM, what about tacking them down with fishing line? It's clear, and strong, so baby won't break it. That way you don't have the problem of visible stitches, and you could go to town sewing those suckers down.

That blanket is just so cute by the way, I'm sure it will be treasured!

Remember that when you wash the item, there may be some shrinkage. If you use different materials than the yarn it is made with, the shrinkage will be different. I'm not saying that is bad or good, just wanted you to be aware of it. I have had squares sent to me that were joined with sewing thread, fall apart when washed.

I think fishing line doesn't shrink, since it's plastic and all...

Right. But the yarn will. So it will fit more loosely after washing, wouldn't it? I have never tried it so I can't say for sure, but just thinking about it.

Archived