Saxony yarn

This is just an educated guess, but since this is how the yarn was 'put up' I'm guessing these yarns came in hanks (wound in a big loop, not into a ball), and that is how many times the hank was folded. In this column, other yarns are 'put up' as tubes, spools, or cones.

I thought 'ply' at first too, but it was showing folds in the 'put up' column, and if ply was noted it was in in the fiber content column (mostly in the Mary Maxim section).

But on the Fleischer color chart, it does sound more like ply, doesn't it?

In the Columbia section, a sock yarn and a rug yarn have 4 folds, a sport yarn only 3. Saxony is listed as 2-fold in smaller yardage skein, 4-fold in larger yardage skein. Eh?

Hey Daydreamer girl, it was not a silly question at all!!

I thought 'ply' at first too, but it was showing folds in the 'put up' column, and if ply was noted it was in in the fiber content column (mostly in the Mary Maxim section).

But on the Fleischer color chart, it does sound more like ply, doesn't it?

In the Columbia section, a sock yarn and a rug yarn have 4 folds, a sport yarn only 3. Saxony is listed as 2-fold in smaller yardage skein, 4-fold in larger yardage skein. Eh?

Hey Daydreamer girl, it was not a silly question at all!!

:lol I guess not. Would it help if I found what hook size it´s used for one of the "folds"?

I found this website which equates fold with ply. you'll have to scroll down...the definition is fifth from the bottom.

http://www.narrow-fabrics-manufacturers.com/glossary-of-products-y.html

on the vintage yarn charts website, they give suggested needle sizes in the yarns listed by weights section.

hope this helps.

Ah! That helped a lot :)

what´s the URL to the vintage yarn chart site? vintageyarncharts.com?

Archived